Worlds Worst Snapper Fisherman

Cmaltby

Had my outboard serviced this morning so decided to head out in the bay for the afternoon and try catch some snapper on sunset. Headed to green island armed with plastics pillies and planned to get some livies. Whilst jigging i caught countless squire under 10cm on my bait joy as well as some bait I floated a livie out the back bottom fished and flicked plastics. Come sunset I knew it would turn on but could only catch 5 keeper bream and Moses perch. Not bad for by catch best was 31cm and others were 28x2 ,27 & 25. Good afternoon on the water in great conditions. Kept three to give my Aunty for a feed 

The bream were thick where I was may have to head back there next week during the comp

Also so had something have a go at my livie and miss the hook by mm. Might be time to gang them 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i did put burley out I had some old pillies and squid which I wrapped up in some cheap netting I had and smashed it all up hung it out the back of the boat. I bought the boat with the intention of catching snapper and have caught everything but! I think I need to find an experienced snapper fisherman to help me 

Yeah I haven't had any real success in the bay yet - think it's a matter of picking a likely area and trying different tides and moon phases til you get it sussed and then repeat what you did well. I'm planning on trying around Green a bit as I haven't had much success around Mud.

That was my second trip to green, I'm yet to head to mud generally I been fishing peel or river mouth. I had no luck all along the front side of green Over the back where it goes from 10-3 metres I had limited success. I was cruising through the shallow water yesterday and noticed a lot of weed beds I think there would be some decent squid there. Finding the likely areas is the hard part. Currently have only a black and grey sounder which makes things a bit harder I planned to buy one this week so hopefully that makes it easier to find some structure

• 2 weeks later...

If you want the big snapper you need live bait whatever is in the area where you are fishing. Don't use any blood or oils that attracts sharks and rays. That seems to scare them off    I use frozen burley from a little company called bears burley. They have blue water blocks which work a treat in the bay. I leave them in the bag with a few small cuts and they last for ages.  You need something to get it to the bottom. I use a keeper net with a brick  in it and a long rope. You can find them on face book just type in bears burley    Cheers  and happy fishing   

i put a mate on to it and he used it at bribie yesterday and caught 3 flathead  tailor bream and a couple of squire just under legal and he had a few big runs but got busted off.  I'm itching to get up there and have a crack myself using this burley. 

14 minutes ago, Lizard killer said:

If you want the big snapper you need live bait whatever is in the area where you are fishing. Don't use any blood or oils that attracts sharks and rays. That seems to scare them off    I use frozen burley from a little company called bears burley. They have blue water blocks which work a treat in the bay. I leave them in the bag with a few small cuts and they last for ages.  You need something to get it to the bottom. I use a keeper net with a brick  in it and a long rope. You can find them on face book just type in bears burley    Cheers  and happy fishing   

i put a mate on to it and he used it at bribie yesterday and caught 3 flathead  tailor bream and a couple of squire just under legal and he had a few big runs but got busted off.  I'm itching to get up there and have a crack myself using this burley. 

I use my Mrs old stockings with a massive sinker on a handline with pillies and squid in it all bashed up. I will check them out and give them a go. Went fishing yesterday and the quality of bites when using fresh bait in comparison to frozen was huge. There wasn't much about so I went pretty quick. I did get something bust me off on 40lb leader yesterday l

Archived