My Shortest Bay Report

samsteele115

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. 

I went out yesterday and the conditions were beautiful for the 6 hours I was out. Plan was to launch from Scarborough and do some reef fishing off Caloundra, but I didn't get more than 5km off Scarborough because I found longtail tuna. I couldn't help myself, tried to stalk the one school for 6 hours and it was tough going but the rewards are there. I will catch the bastards next time...

12 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. 

I went out yesterday and the conditions were beautiful for the 6 hours I was out. Plan was to launch from Scarborough and do some reef fishing off Caloundra, but I didn't get more than 5km off Scarborough because I found longtail tuna. I couldn't help myself, tried to stalk the one school for 6 hours and it was tough going but the rewards are there. I will catch the bastards next time...

I spent the morning at the beacons looking for some schoolies, ended up driving around in circles chasing either small longtail or yellowtail tuna, freejumping and swairling all around the boat. Hooked up on a huge live herring for an instant before the hooks pulled... :geek:

12 hours ago, curranboy99 said:

Wow, you really seem to love chasing tuna! 

What makes u want to fish for these fish (longtails) so much? Is it the fight, the eating, the challegne? To me that never has fished for em, it seems very time consuming and expensive, but when u land one its very rewarding..

Yeah mate I love it. It's the chase, the adrenalin, the commitment, the challenge, the battle. I don't really like eating them though. 

To be honest it would be hard for you to understand if you have just caught the smaller river species, which is completely fine too. But if you came out and saw 15kg fish cutting up water I guarantee your heart will be pumping through your chest and the anticipation of the bite is crazy. When they hit, everything is out of your control and you just hold on. Then when they stop going ballistic that's when the physical and tactical battle begins. It's actually tiring and if I've got a few tuna in the day my back and arms are definitely feeling it. 

The odds are definitely stacked against the angler so the rewards are huge. If I caught 100 flathead, bream, bass in a day I don't think I would be as stoked as getting 1 tuna in a day

1 hour ago, timtam_ said:

I spent the morning at the beacons looking for some schoolies, ended up driving around in circles chasing either small longtail or yellowtail tuna, freejumping and swairling all around the boat. Hooked up on a huge live herring for an instant before the hooks pulled... :geek:

Nice mate, yellowfin would have been a rare sight. Sure they weren't mac tuna? I don't think I've seen longtail smaller than a metre this year. Good to know, another place to check out ;)

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Yeah mate I love it. It's the chase, the adrenalin, the commitment, the challenge, the battle. I don't really like eating them though. 

To be honest it would be hard for you to understand if you have just caught the smaller river species, which is completely fine too. But if you came out and saw 15kg fish cutting up water I guarantee your heart will be pumping through your chest and the anticipation of the bite is crazy. When they hit, everything is out of your control and you just hold on. Then when they stop going ballistic that's when the physical and tactical battle begins. It's actually tiring and if I've got a few tuna in the day my back and arms are definitely feeling it. 

The odds are definitely stacked against the angler so the rewards are huge. If I caught 100 flathead, bream, bass in a day I don't think I would be as stoked as getting 1 tuna in a day

Thanks for the info.

They do seem like a lotta fun and a heck of a challenge, but they still have little of an appeal of an angling target for me personally... I would much prefer fishing around snags in the rivers/creeks, using white knuckle techniques on lightish gear to pull fish from snags, but each to there own I guess :) 

On 6/13/2016 at 9:04 AM, samsteele115 said:

Nice mate, yellowfin would have been a rare sight. Sure they weren't mac tuna? I don't think I've seen longtail smaller than a metre this year. Good to know, another place to check out ;)

Definitely not mack tuna - almost certain they were longtail. Probably were about 90cm-110 in length and fins were longer than the macks dorsal and pectorals. We were out at the measured mile and followed them all the way into the first beacon from the river mouth.

1 hour ago, timtam_ said:

Definitely not mack tuna - almost certain they were longtail. Probably were about 90cm-110 in length and fins were longer than the macks dorsal and pectorals. We were out at the measured mile and followed them all the way into the first beacon from the river mouth.

Cool. Yeah that will be longtail. 

Archived