3d Printed Stickbait

bersim

After seeing how good @T_H's lures looked after getting his mate to draw them up I decided to bite the bullet and start work drawing mine on Inventor.  It seemed like it wouldn't be too hard but cause of the shape it turned out to be pretty annoying to draw and heaps of ellipses had to be drawn so it could all be lofted together.  Here's a few progression shots and then the printed lure at the end.  Big thanks to my friend who did all the hard and confusing work!

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

Still needs to be sanded to get rid of the bumps but man it's an easy way to get the master lure made! 

IMG_6624.jpg

James

Thanks Angus.  Yeah it's crazy how quickly they've dropped in price!  The school has about 5 though so I can always just sit in the room using their printer without anyone caring about I'm doing which is great.  Hahaha unless you can use inventor or some similar program they aren't much use though! @Angus

Yeah I was thinking about making the mould but it was a fair bit more work and this way I could sand and spray putty the lure before finalising it @aussie123.  Might try that in the future though!  Would certainly be cheaper than silicon.  

Haha this is such a great way to make new lures as I don't need to waste days making the master.  It previously took me far too long and meant that I just didn't have the time to make different styles.  A popper will be added very soon as a monkey could pretty much draw that up it's so simple:P.  Should be nice to have a popper in the mix as well.  The great thing is that if this one works well I can make bigger and smaller versions and if it doesn't then I can just change the shape a bit.   

Well I'm hoping that this one will work with singles.  My goal would be for them to all work with singles and if they work with them then they would work with trebles as well.  I'll definitely be spending a full day trying heaps of different weighting techniques to get these guys working with singles.  I think that may be what it comes down to.  Anyway fingers crossed they work well.  I feel like this shape will work better @Luvit

• 3 weeks later...

man that's awesome! I've wondered why this hasn't yet quite taken off for the fishing community yet. Angus - I wish my work had one of these. I would have already been all over this.

Bersim with the mould you already have, what's stopping you from just cutting in half, running wire through and then gluing the 2 halves back together and then just using that as the lure? Can you design and just make 2 halves that you can do the same with? Then it would be a floating topwater? Sorry, I've never played with a 3d printer so am not sure of the intricate details of what does and doesn't work.

33 minutes ago, Do$tylz said:

man that's awesome! I've wondered why this hasn't yet quite taken off for the fishing community yet. Angus - I wish my work had one of these. I would have already been all over this.

Bersim with the mould you already have, what's stopping you from just cutting in half, running wire through and then gluing the 2 halves back together and then just using that as the lure? Can you design and just make 2 halves that you can do the same with? Then it would be a floating topwater? Sorry, I've never played with a 3d printer so am not sure of the intricate details of what does and doesn't work.

I was talking to my tech guy at work. He has 2 3D printers but his only critism when I floated this idea was to print with the appropriate density of material (so they are strong) it would cost like $25+ a print anyway... I have nothing to base this on but his opinion...

Angus

Thanks Henry.  There's a few problems with doing it that way.  First one is that to print it at a high quality not only costs a fair bit but also take 6 hours+.  But the main reason why lures aren't made this way (well at least with this material) is that it just isn't strong enough for a toothy critter.  My resin ones are far far stronger and would definitely last a lot longer.  @Do$tylz

James

Wow! Being such new tech I, like a lot of others, had not considered the option of making lures this way. As 3D printers progress who knows where it could end up. A good idea for making prototypes in any case though. Watch this space I guess...

Madmic

39 minutes ago, bersim said:

Thanks Henry.  There's a few problems with doing it that way.  First one is that to print it at a high quality not only costs a fair bit but also take 6 hours+.  But the main reason why lures aren't made this way (well at least with this material) is that it just isn't strong enough for a toothy critter.  My resin ones are far far stronger and would definitely last a lot longer.  @Do$tylz

James

That is a bit prohibitive.

I guess as the tech gets a bit cheaper it might start to open it up. Custom building topwater walkers that work as well as dog-x jnrs but at half the price would be a dream.

Archived