The Trip Of A Lifetime!

cameronh

After what seemed like an eternity of study, I finally completed my last exam and hopefully my third degree(results not out till Dec), my brother and I embarked on a trip of a lifetime!  After booking the trip in early February this year and gathering a multitude of lures we firstly flew up to Cairns from Brissie, then boarded a light plane to Lizard island the next day.

The trip was with Far North Sport Fishing and was hosted by Mark Berg.  The crew were amazing and to have Mark and 3 highly skilled guides taking us around in one of three 6m hooker centre consoles made the fishing and experience even better.  If you ever have the opportunity, we cannot recommend the trip enough, it was fantastic to get out of the office and spend a week in this amazing part of the world.  Some absolutely cracking fish were caught and plenty of new pb's.

Well I better not talk too much more, here is a video we put together! 

Enjoy

Thanks

Cam

Some of the happy snaps....

20kg Cod released to fight another day

14976836_1275245805848475_71776977332241

Big Blue Maori Cod

15025247_1275245692515153_72970156726929

8kg Red Emperor

14976897_1275245872515135_69605342174785

The boys with Bergie on the plane ride home!

20161106_091525_Far%20North%20Sports%20F

Happy Days with my brother and myself

20161104_132805_Far%20North%20Sports%20F

13 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Fantastic, @cameronh. Coincidentally as I saw this post I am watching Fishing Addiction episodes that I have recorded. Will you be on the show?

Haha, that's great.  We won't be on the show unfortunately, one can only dream about having the fishing addiction challenge and $5k worth of Diawa gear!  Bergie does a few hosted trips around Aus each year and we were fortunate enough to be able to book one

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

Looks like a great trip was had, Cameron.

It seems the weather and a good operator combined well for you guys.

Sounds like you deserved a good trip too !

Bet there were some sore backs and arms ! :fishing2:

Thanks Ellicat, yeah it was a great trip, the weather gods played the game this time, with winds between 10-15knts,  I don't think I could handle a full glass out up there as the avg temp was 36-38 degrees and if there was no breeze it would've been a killer. 

Bergie is a top bloke and the guides/crew were fantastic, nothing was too much for them. 

The arms and back are still recovering.... :frantics:

Awesome trip and video mate, well done. I've been watching quite a few fishing shows this year, include Marc Berg's one, and I've definitely decided I need to do one of these trips before I die. Doesn't make sense to be addicted to fishing and settle for struggling to catch a couple of 40cm squire when there are places like that on this planet!! 

3 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Awesome trip and video mate, well done. I've been watching quite a few fishing shows this year, include Marc Berg's one, and I've definitely decided I need to do one of these trips before I die. Doesn't make sense to be addicted to fishing and settle for struggling to catch a couple of 40cm squire when there are places like that on this planet!! 

Thanks, I guess we've been converted now and will be watching more Fishing Addiction on FishFlicks. 

It's definitely one of those bucket list trips, but the main thing I would recommend is to make sure for anyone wanting to go on a trip is to make sure are fit enough to 200-300gram poppers all day long.  The fishing was fantastic but it definitely wasn't like shooting fish in a barrel.  The 8kg cod was caught after we'd been poppering for over 2.5hrs,  You certainly don't want to go on a trip of a lifetime and quit halfway through a day because you are buggered from casting.:)  

You never know when the next cast might produce that monster GT!!!

And there's nothing wrong with catching a couple of squire, certainly beats sitting in the office:whistle:

Actually that was a typo on my behalf, it should have read 'struggling to catch ONE 35cm squire ....... ;)  Good point you raise about all the casts (and physical effort) between fish - us sitting at home looking at the pictures and video highlights (same as fishing shows) probably don't give much thought to this. Did you do anything to increase fitness leading up to it?

23 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Actually that was a typo on my behalf, it should have read 'struggling to catch ONE 35cm squire ....... ;)  Good point you raise about all the casts (and physical effort) between fish - us sitting at home looking at the pictures and video highlights (same as fishing shows) probably don't give much thought to this. Did you do anything to increase fitness leading up to it?

Haha all good, we just practiced casting poppers whenever we could(we knew we were doing it right when the seagulls started flying in and investigating, but it also made for some funny stares on the water, haha) and a bit of weights training.  But nothing can really prepare you when you're buggered from casting and poppering and then you see a big black shadow of a 20kg+ GT appear, half of you is thinking 'oh SH*T' this is going to hurt:no: then the other half is thinking 'Bring it on!' and also I really don't want to lose my $50+ popper HAHA:fishing2:

Archived