Old Batteries.

rayke1938

My other hobby is scrapping, usually the money goes from the scrap yard straight to the tackle or boating store. In my mind batteries are one of the best scrap items out there, no work, take them as is straight to the yard, and get good coin. I'm always on the lookout for old batteries.

I'll bet the X-trail felt this in the back?

14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Geez Ray, you've got an understanding wife there mate ......... :whistle:  Didn't realise you could get money for old batteries - nice one!!

I don't think most people do, I find dumped batteries quite regularly, sometimes at boat ramps or at the back of the mangroves(:no:)

Lead acid batteries will fetch you most often between 50-55c/kg, with most batteries being around 10-15kg. All scrap yards will happily take them. If you're desperate you can pull apart batteries and you'll get about $2.50/kg for the soft lead inside, but having done it once, I would strongly recommend against it. Not only for the safety and environmental concerns, but also because it is very tough and time consuming process, they make batteries very hard and rigid. They have a couple of processing plants down south that recycle pretty much 100% of a lead acid batteries, most often back into a brand new battery.

I often have batteries lying around which I put out for the "curb" collection day. 

I currently have a N70 4WD battery waiting for such a day. Up for grabs for anyone here; if you're near Bethania. In future I will offer my dead batteries on here.

I also have a bunch of scrap reo bar and an old boat trailer if anyone is into scrap metal.

16 hours ago, demarc said:

I often have batteries lying around which I put out for the "curb" collection day. 

I currently have a N70 4WD battery waiting for such a day. Up for grabs for anyone here; if you're near Bethania. In future I will offer my dead batteries on here.

I also have a bunch of scrap reo bar and an old boat trailer if anyone is into scrap metal.

I'd happily come grab it all, but Bethania's a bit of a drive for me. I reckon if you put the battery out on the curb now, it'll be gone by tomorrow morning. As for the steel, someone out there will probably take it too.

Since the slowdown of China and iron ore consumption in WA, the price of scrap steel has dropped by about 60%. Two years ago scrappers would clamber over each other to get anything resembling iron, these days at a price between $40-$60/tonne, many(myself included) will generally take or leave it. As @kmcrosby78 said an ad on Gumtree, as someone will come grab it off you.

Archived