Stuffed Whole Squid

Angus

Thought i would share my favorite squid recipe. Very easy and hard to stuff up but present impressively.

First clean the tube out. Don't skin (such a waste of time and effort). Clean beaks and eyes out of head. Keep the heads! 

Break up some crusty bread and liberally pour on some olive oil, herbs (thyme is nice), salt and pepper to taste and a little lemon zest is good as well. 

Stuff this mixture into the tubes.

To make the sauce just chuck some capers in a pan with olive oil and when they are sizzling add a half stick of butter and juice of one whole lemon (all depends on how many squid of course). 

Let the sauce rest and chuck tubes and heads on bbq. You want a little bit of char. People stress about overcooking squid but don't worry to much as the moisture from the stuffing will keep it tender and the heads have a lot more natural juices as well. 

Chuck on a plate when done and pour the sauce over. A bit of parsley and/or dill for garnish and yum.

Below are some big and little squid examples. Little squid are a lot more fiddly but usually more tender. 

20170203_194657.jpg

20170129_155357.jpgFB_IMG_1485651528115.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, martin brown said:

Looks great Angus..will give it a try..ill also put down a rice filled version as well, back from my cooking days on South Molle Island..

Yeah I used to use like a risotto all the time with the heads diced up through it. The bread seems to BBQ better though as it chars more easily.

Angus

On 2/4/2017 at 9:08 AM, Angus said:

To make the sauce just chuck some capers in a pan with olive oil and when they are sizzling add a half stick of butter and juice of one whole lemon (all depends on how many squid of course).

Yum looks great. I will def give that a go this winter. Especially with the lemon zest.

Would Tigers be a bit to big/tough?

A small variation on that sauce we used to serve in the restaurant.

Add a large stick of butter to pan and put on high heat. have a lemon ready to go or pre juice it as timing is very important.

Add the capers. 

When the butter starts to brown... wait for it... not too dark... quickly chuck in the lemon juice and simmer for a few seconds and you are done. 

Gives it a nice golden colour and taste too. 

16 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Yum looks great. I will def give that a go this winter. Especially with the lemon zest.

Would Tigers be a bit to big/tough?

A small variation on that sauce we used to serve in the restaurant.

Add a large stick of butter to pan and put on high heat. have a lemon ready to go or pre juice it as timing is very important.

Add the capers. 

When the butter starts to brown... wait for it... not too dark... quickly chuck in the lemon juice and simmer for a few seconds and you are done. 

Gives it a nice golden colour and taste too. 

No. I have used tiny squid and large. All works. For the big ones the stuffing holds the moisture and they do not go rubbery.

Archived