Fishing Land Based Moreton Island

Northside Chic

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any info to help me out.  I am heading to Moreton Island for the first time in March, staying in the glamping tents at Bulwer.  I was thinking of just taking my beach rod/alvey combo but not sure how close I can fish to where we are staying as we won't have transport over there.  Should I take lures or just buy frozen bait from the store there?  Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for dobbing me in @kmcrosby78... :P

@Northside Chic

moreton literally has every type of landbased fishing you could want. From where you'll be at the glamping area at bulwer there's a few good beach options available.

firstly, I'd probably leave the surf rod at home and take standard "soft plastic" gear, a 7ft 2-4kg or 3-5kg rod with about 6-10lb braid is a perfect rig. A flurocarbon leader of up to 15lb is good. You won't be fishing heavy surf and most of the fish are within 20m of the shore. 

i generally fish the beaches with plastics which will account for flathead, bream, flounder and tailor (might be a bit early for them in March but you never know). You can also get schools of small bonito or Mack tuna come right into the shallows on the western side of moreton if bait is about. Long toms can be a right pain the the you know where... I use a variety of techniques from a slow roll to hops and whatever else. Jighead size will vary based on conditions but generally 1/6th, 1/4 and 3/8th oz with about a 1/0 hook is good. As far as what plastics... Well... Where to start. Gulp 4" drop shot minnows, z-mans grubs, z-man paddle tails (opening night is a cracker colour), squidgy wrigglers in 100mm or 120mm. A variety of colours from natural to crazy is good, mix it up, some days naturals seem to be the go, other days bright pink is the go. Not a bad idea to have a few metal slugs in your kit as well in case there's tailor or similar around, 20-40g size, I personally love halco twisties.

As to where to fish... look for structure in the water, this can be a log, a gutter, a drop off, a creek mouth... Whatever. Something that could attract bait on an otherwise barren beach, bait means fish. Pepper the area with casts, try a couple of colours and if no luck walk on to the next area. Where you find one fish there almost certainly will be more. From bulwer, I'd walk north along the western beach and follow it around onto the northern beach. There's good gutters just around the corner and plenty more as you continue to head east along the northern beach. theres heaps of bird life, Dolphins and all that to keep you amused along the way. It's an awesome way to spend a few hours and often results in a good feed to boot. Don't be surprised to find fish in 1-2ft of water right at your feet.

Bait fishing - fresh is best but your options are a bit limited on the island. Whiting, bream and flathead are available anywhere around the island, also dart off the northern beach. Again, look for anything different in the water and target that area. Flesh baits or peeled prawns are good options if you can't get hold of worms or yabbies. Keep your gear as light as possible.

hope that helps a bit.

On 2/8/2017 at 6:37 PM, benno573 said:

moreton literally has every type of landbased fishing you could want. From where you'll be at the glamping area at bulwer there's a few good beach options available.

Awesome tips there benno! 

We fish the rocks at the cape with a lot of success. The snapper probably wont be in yet as they prefer it a bit cooler than march. 

5inch soft plastics have accounted for Jew and Snapper there and a bit smaller for bream, dart etc.

Just make sure you know where the green zone starts. 

Archived