Kingscliff Scouting

Angus

Headed back out just down the front of the in laws house after breakky. Lots of little dart and this guy...

20170219_125738.jpg

A guy down in the same gutter got at least 10 sizable whiting as well but on fresh worms. Gave the worms a crack but I had missed the low and they were to far down. Shame! But good to know.

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Looks like plenty of weed on the rocks in the first bream photo @Angus - should produce some luderick?

Blackfish fishing does seem more popular down there.

I will be spending more time down there since Tanya's parents moved so looking forward to learning and working stuff out.

I will be back in 2 weeks to test one theory I have based on something I saw. Fingers crossed.

Apparently the beach does fish well for tailor at the right times of year and excited for that sort of simple fishing.

Angus

The rocky area on the southern side of the breakwall is fantastic for jewfish spinning in winter. And the bommies out the front of the bar are a great snapper spot too.. upstream theres a coffee rock bottom that holds massive schools of bream during winter too.. approximately  400metres up past the road bridge angus.

1 hour ago, Cody said:

The rocky area on the southern side of the breakwall is fantastic for jewfish spinning in winter. And the bommies out the front of the bar are a great snapper spot too.. upstream theres a coffee rock bottom that holds massive schools of bream during winter too.. approximately  400metres up past the road bridge angus.

Cheers Cody advice appreciated.

Yes I will certainly be spending some time on those rocks in winter chasing both jew and tailor.

Angus

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok... off to buy another bigger tackle box haha

Yeah Tony (from the weekend) has done a lot of it and has given me some pointers. We wil have to give it a crack. Always something I have seen a lot of but just not really pursued.

On 07/03/2017 at 8:22 AM, Drop Bear said:

Awesome. I am heading to Wooli for Easter so will try like crazy to get one. The water to the right of the bar is where I would like to target.

Any tips on what size plastic to use there? 

wooli_river_mouth-gallery1106.jpg

Big 7inch paddletails on a 5/8th of an ounce jighead works best for me mate. Just hopped off the bottom.. or large hardbody shallow divers such as halco laser pros  or croaker lures

Only advice I can give for Wooli os to try the Oysters from the shed that is right on the edge of the river - best I have ever had, Wooli is one of the cleanest rivers I have ever fished - plenty of Fatties around the weed beds upstream.

• 4 weeks later...

@Drop Bear mate I'm super envious. I won't get there until later this year but lets keep it on the downlow! We caught tailor, mackeral, bullsharks, whaler sharks, and tonnes of shovelnoses. All on pillies rigged with two 3/0 Beak hooks (one fixed, one running). I reckon if you get there on the outgoing tide with a westerley wind and float a pilly or a livey out the back, you'll happily smash Cobia, kingies, as well as tailor and mackeral of course. A bloke standing next to us caught two cobia in half an hour using this method!. And as always, the flatty and whiting fishing is out of this world in the river. My cousin pulled a 43cm whiting from the bank on a receding tide amongst the weed and sand. 

On 07/03/2017 at 8:22 AM, Drop Bear said:

Awesome. I am heading to Wooli for Easter so will try like crazy to get one. The water to the right of the bar is where I would like to target.

Mate I cannot wait for your Wooli report. Would love to get down there with you guys.

Maybe next year when the wee man is a little more mobile.

Angus

On 3/7/2017 at 8:22 AM, Drop Bear said:

Hi Drop Bear, maybe pack a yabbie pump. Been there about 5/6 years ago and there were some good flats to have a go. 

13 hours ago, timtam_ said:

@Drop Bear mate I'm super envious. I won't get there until later this year but lets keep it on the downlow! We caught tailor, mackeral, bullsharks, whaler sharks, and tonnes of shovelnoses. All on pillies rigged with two 3/0 Beak hooks (one fixed, one running). I reckon if you get there on the outgoing tide with a westerley wind and float a pilly or a livey out the back, you'll happily smash Cobia, kingies, as well as tailor and mackeral of course. A bloke standing next to us caught two cobia in half an hour using this method!. And as always, the flatty and whiting fishing is out of this world in the river. My cousin pulled a 43cm whiting from the bank on a receding tide amongst the weed and sand. 

Hmmmmm, note to self - go to Wooli ....... ;)  Good luck @Drop Bear, looking forward to a BIG report :)

On 4/7/2017 at 7:00 AM, timtam_ said:

We caught tailor, mackeral, bullsharks, whaler sharks, and tonnes of shovelnoses

wowsers! from the rock wall? 

On 4/7/2017 at 7:00 AM, timtam_ said:

I reckon if you get there on the outgoing tide with a westerley wind and float a pilly or a livey out the back, you'll happily smash Cobia, kingies, as well as tailor and mackeral of course.

I have only fished this wall at night.... that will change for sure. Mullet are easy enough to catch there so I will try this thanks for the tip!!

17 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

My cousin pulled a 43cm whiting from the bank on a receding tide amongst the weed and sand. 

Yep I have caught many many 40cm + whiting on the up stream banks of the sand flats at low tide. They seem to sit on the steeper drop offs here. I will absolutely have a sesh of this. Very keen to try the sugar pens across the flats too. :)

On 3/12/2017 at 7:32 PM, marty said:

Only advice I can give for Wooli os to try the Oysters from the shed that is right on the edge of the river - best I have ever had, Wooli is one of the cleanest rivers I have ever fished - plenty of Fatties around the weed beds upstream.

Thanks Marty,

We buy some from there and make oyster soup and eat them raw. We also get mussels from the rocks at low tide.

Oyster soup is something I learnt from some kiwi friends. It seems a little strange but wow it is so yummy

Archived