Northern Bay 12/3/17

Doyley

Sorry no pics of fishing in this post, however a few of a boat at the end.

Headed out with my 3yr old son this morning.  Left Bongaree Ramp and headed around the southern end of Bribe in calm conditions.  Didn't know what to expect on the eastern side of Bribie with the swell at the moment.  Things got a bit lumpy but not as bad as i thought it would be.  Got to the spot I've been meaning to try for a while, to hear 'Dad my tummy feels yuck'.    Dropped a couple of baits for 10mins and 2 squire came over the side.  Both just undersize.  Headed back down to calmer water to allow his stomach to settle and found a few longtails busting up around the Woorim shark nets.  Had a bit of interest but couldn't hook up.  Fished the Cockle Banks for some winter whiting which kept the young fella happy.

Saw this boat at NIngi on the way out and stopped to take some photos.  Thought it may tick a few boxes for @Drop Bear.  Boat and trailer looked very good for its age.  The boat has had a respray.  The engine had sun damage to the cowling.

IMG_3014.thumb.JPG.ab98b894d7885ac00a73fc579da1877a.JPG

IMG_3015.thumb.JPG.3f8d6e4a438bd7e5f94c9a643b725d34.JPG

IMG_3016.thumb.JPG.c1f7dc0c1f3071490313a8288423e7f0.JPG

11 hours ago, Doyley said:

Saw this boat at NIngi on the way out and stopped to take some photos.  Thought it may tick a few boxes for @Drop Bear.

Wow thanks mate. Looks great. I will give him a call this morning and take it for a spin. 90hp seems excessive! I have never owned a boat that wasn't a little under powered haha.

I really appreciate you looking out for me and will let you know how it goes.

:)

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow thanks mate. Looks great. I will give him a call this morning and take it for a spin. 90hp seems excessive! I have never owned a boat that wasn't a little under powered haha.

The 90 on that thing would fly man. Looks like an awesome boat. Would easily handle spb on the right days. Bring on the rock!

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

well done and good job keeping an eye out for a boat for @Drop Bear. Looks like a pretty good deal - be interesting to know how old the motor is as doesn't seem too old at all. Roughly how long was the boat?

Motor is 2000 he says its a weapon and runs really well. has a 40 ltr tank that he says will let it run nearly all day at 20 knots but will do 35 knots! But uses a lot more fuel. Its a 2.5m Quintrex. Trailer is newly built. Oil injection isn't working so he pre mixes. (I would probably do this anyway with an old engine just incase) Has a new helm and Throttle and cables. 

I am hoping to go for a test run today. What should I look for? I know to check water pump tell tale and general stuff. I will check under floor for corrosion. I'm not too fussed if the floor is a bit soft as I can re do myself. But after my last disaster I would love to get a few tips on what to look for? Should I do a compression test?

2.5m ...... looks deceivingly bigger on my computer ....... :whistle:   Sounds like a great deal. I can't help you with mechanical advice unfortunately. Perhaps look up @aussie123 on www.reeltackle.com.au to see what he reckons. It might be worth paying a few dollars to confirm the motor is fine - if it is then you'll have good peace of mind.

Interesting that it seems to have a hydro-foil fitted. Can't imagine it would be needed. Good luck - you might be cruising offshore in no time!!

5 hours ago, demarc said:

compression test. ensure all are near the same psi

I'm heading off now... I don't have a compression tester. can you buy them at super cheap? Are they expensive?

I think I will take if for a run this afternoon and come back this weekend and do a compression test if it runs well. 

Thanks for the tip on the throttle cables. He said they had must been replaced but will check it out. 

7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm heading off now... I don't have a compression tester. can you buy them at super cheap? Are they expensive?

I think I will take if for a run this afternoon and come back this weekend and do a compression test if it runs well. 

Thanks for the tip on the throttle cables. He said they had must been replaced but will check it out. 

I don't think they are expensive at all from sca. The biggest thing is to ensure she is cold prior to starting.

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Youre welcome mate! Looks like a good buy.  I would be getting a compression test done to check for equal psi across the cylinders. Also had a water fuel separator fitted.  For me little extras like that show an owner who looks after his stuff.  wish i had read the replies earlier as i would have met u there on my way home from work to go for a spin.  Hope it went well!!

4 hours ago, demarc said:

The biggest thing is to ensure she is cold prior to starting.

9 hours ago, demarc said:

- ensure engine is cold on start

It was hot when I got there...

He said it hadn't been started for a while...

It started first kick however with no choke and no throttle and idled very cleanly. Water pump is good. I didn't have a compression tester but will get one and check. 

There was about 1/2 inch water in the water fuel separator. The set up seemed really good and really simple. No seats but holes in the floor where they used to be. He is a boilermaker and had made a nice anchor well at the front. Good fuel filler and breather hose. 

He didn't have time to take it for a spin. Perhaps I will go up there on Saturday. 

It looks like a good boat. Not much corrosion. There was some corrosion where a steel bolt had held something on in the past but it had clearly stopped now. There was a few funny bumps under the fresh paint that he said was bog from ages ago... I don't know what they were. Also the motor had been freshly painted black. Floor was, unsurprisingly, mushy and would need replacement in a year or so. Freshly painted hull. 

Steering looks good with fresh looking grease on nice stainless threads. Linkages all look good. Trim tilt worked well from engine button and throttle. 

There was no compliance plate. He said he had had it in the family for ages and that they didn't need them back the. I don't know if this is true. It is a 1989 4.5m (measured straight stern to bow) Quintrex. The 1988 savage I bought has one. 

My concern is that I don't think I really want a 90hp 2 stroke for fuel economy and not one that is nearly 20 years old. I know its a good price for what it is but I'm wondering if I would be better getting a similar hull and buy a new donk?

I'm really glad I went and had a look. It is a really good buy but I wonder if I should be less of a tight ass... the more boats I look at the more I get to know what is out there. 

Still haven't ruled it out. 

That's a hard one mate. It's not like you'll be running around at WOT all the time. Can you find out what the hull is rated for?

However for the price he is asking I would want that floor fixed or just offer him 4.5k and see if he bites. Engine age isn't too much of a concern if looked after. I ran an old seahorse 25hp for years which was 40 years old. Never had a rebuild.

Definately ask for him not to start engine before hand if you look again. They'll always fire first go warm in my experience.

How was the trailer? 

Good luck in your decision.

It is a Quintrex Fishraider, a very recognisable and popular hull in their day. I had a 1980 one that had a compliance plate that I recently sold and I would doubt that it is a 1989 hull as they stopped making them before then. . Max hp is 60, I could get 29 knots out of mine with a 60 so that one would really boogy. 

Great little boat albeit a bit wet like all centre consoles. I only sold mine because I found something around that size in glass that caught my eye. 

The price is about right, I got similar money for mine with a 12 year old outboard with 600 hrs but mine had better electronics. 

Not a bad buy if it is all good but you would want to hold onto your hat if you give it some stick.... 

Wouldn't have guessed it was only 4.5m.  I parked my boat next to it which is 4.8m overall and felt that one was longer.  Maybe the huge bow rails are deceiving.  That thing would cruise nicely at only half throttle with the big motor and foil, so I wouldn't be concerned about fuel consumption.  But also with the option of being first back to the ramp!!  The floor is an easy and fairly cheap fix as long as the carpet is still good.  Tear the carpet from the ply, trace the old ply onto the new, cut and reglue the carpet back down.  If u r unsure, it was a good move walking away. I have a bad habit of buying stuff on the spot :no:

I am only going off what ole mate said being that its 4.5m. If it is (and its a dead ringer for a Fishraider, but I dont know if they made bigger than 4.5) it might be a bit hard to insure with a 90. But it will go fast, which is bloody fun too. I would not fret over the extra 30kg (a 90 over a 60) of outboard on the bum, mine used to have boxes of fish down the back, live bait tanks, my fat arse and was generally half full of water and it still went fine. They are a very strong hull and will ride better than anything of the same size and set that you would pay $30k for new. 

Archived