Spot Available

Danny91

Hey guys I'm wanting to venture out of my usual spots and explore the Moreton bay as I have had good reports! Not to mention @timtam_'s post yesterday has made me want to go there :P I haven't much experience in the area and would be grateful if somebody with a little experience with in Moreton bay would show me the ropes, I'll pay for everything, pick you up from home if needed and I'll let you pick the day we go...as long as it's the weekend as I work Monday to Friday, if it's something that your interested in please let me know! 

Thanks 

Im onlt new to the bay aswell and there are sime good grounds out there, id suggests spending $25 on the navionics app. I love using this app. It shows a few of ghe wrecks inside the bay that can fish well. I also like to cruise the beach line looking for tuna or out a bit wider looking for macs when they turn up. Beacons can fish well at times aswell. Just make sure you dont get in the way of a big ship. Choose the right tides and avoid the shallow sansbars. Might be worth going with someone for a few trips then spend a few trips sounding out new ground. Goodluck and there are plentyof fishing to be had.

20170517_095343.jpg

12 minutes ago, josha293 said:

Im onlt new to the bay aswell and there are sime good grounds out there, id suggests spending $25 on the navionics app. I love using this app. It shows a few of ghe wrecks inside the bay that can fish well. I also like to cruise the beach line looking for tuna or out a bit wider looking for macs when they turn up. Beacons can fish well at times aswell. Just make sure you dont get in the way of a big ship. Choose the right tides and avoid the shallow sansbars. Might be worth going with someone for a few trips then spend a few trips sounding out new ground. Goodluck and there are plentyof fishing to be had.

20170517_095343.jpg

Thanks man! Really appreciate the advice! Some nice fish on the photo!!! 

42 minutes ago, demarc said:

What size boat do you have? seas are very welcoming if you wanted to follow out the seaway to chase snapper.

I only have a 3.5 it's not an offshore boat, I'd live out there if my boat was big enough! It's a first boat, my wife said I have to look after this one before I'm able to buy another....so until then I suppose it's fishing estuary's and Moreton bay :P 

16 minutes ago, Danny91 said:

I only have a 3.5 it's not an offshore boat, I'd live out there if my boat was big enough! It's a first boat, my wife said I have to look after this one before I'm able to buy another....so until then I suppose it's fishing estuary's and Moreton bay :P 

Gotta start somewhere bud. I started on a 3.5 for a few years then 4.8 for a year.

Some of the biggest Snaps have come from the bay. I have a mate who will only fish Mud for Snapper as he says it beats the sizes offshore once you learn their pattern.

Weather is mint for the bay anyway. Head to Mud island. On the Northern tip there is a black marker bouy. In that area is some nice ground. There is an extermely nice bommie in front of the beacon, use your charts to find this one.

8 minutes ago, josha293 said:

Might be pushing your luck in a boat that size, if the weather turns bad while your out there ( which it can quiey easily do) you will be in for a dangerous ride home. My boat is a 4.35m and i only go out on good days

I wouldn't either. The 35s are 20kms from the Seaway. But the seaway mouth and in close grounds would be doable on Sunday. No more then 1km offshore.

4 minutes ago, Danny91 said:

@demarc as I say I won't be going anywhere near the bar in my 3.5 but if Moreton bay is an option I will definitely exploring! 

I was more saying the Goldcoast Seaway is a good option. There is the pipeline, great for Jewies and Trevs. Outside the mouth there is the Sand pumping jetty. Very safe in your boat for the conditions reported on Sunday. If Tailor are about they'll be there or on the south side tip of the rock wall. You'll often see them or Bonito/Mac tuna breaking up there.

38 minutes ago, josha293 said:

Might be pushing your luck in a boat that size, if the weather turns bad while your out there ( which it can quiey easily do) you will be in for a dangerous ride home. My boat is a 4.35m and i only go out on good days

I was speaking to @timtam_ earlier and his boat is a 3.8, I will make sure I monitor the weather before heading out...

19 minutes ago, Danny91 said:

I was speaking to @timtam_ earlier and his boat is a 3.8, I will make sure I monitor the weather before heading out...

Yeah there are people crazy enough to do it. I would definitely check your weather before you go out. Even check a few different weather reports. I was out in the bay today and there was no white caps but a fair amout of swell rolling in. If the wind had picked up it would have been really nasty. I decided to come back in and chase a few snaps in close

Mate keep an eye out for one of the Wanderer's weekends and come to one. Bunch of people on here who like to camp with their boats at places such as Wavebreak Island (inside Gold Coast Seaway) and Blakesley's Anchorage (western side of Nth Straddie) plus some freshwater ones. Great way to meet other boaties which can then lead to tag-along sessions and a great chance to pick their brains on fishing locations and the like.

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Mate keep an eye out for one of the Wanderer's weekends and come to one. Bunch of people on here who like to camp with their boats at places such as Wavebreak Island (inside Gold Coast Seaway) and Blakesley's Anchorage (western side of Nth Straddie) plus some freshwater ones. Great way to meet other boaties which can then lead to tag-along sessions and a great chance to pick their brains on fishing locations and the like.

Thanks man! I shall definitely look out for it! 

@Danny91, this weekend the weather is great on Sunday morning and going out in your boat wont be a problem. Launch from the Pinkenba Boat Ramp if you're northside, or Aquarium Passage if you're on the south! I would probably hang around the rock wall at the mouth on your first foray, it'll only take you 20 mins to get there and theres plenty of fish to be had. A few months ago we took 6 snapper home for dinner, theres also a few reports on the rock wall if you use the search function. Tailor are there on surface or shallow diving hardbodies, mackerel are both there and at the first pair of tripod beacons which you can see from the rockwall. Just make sure you're at the rocks on sun rise :) Theres a ledge just off the rocks, and past that ledge (towards the rock wall) is tall standing weed. Try and get your baits just on the outside of the weed! Livies (herring, mullet, gar) at the poo shute (big concrete structure on your left, right at the mouth). If not, pillies are the go!

Archived