Operation Crabby: Mission Debrief

Angus

Well this is more a summary of several reports but thought it worth while.

Today marks the last day of my paternity leave and I cannot say i relish going back to some fun industry issues but such is life.

I crabbed a lot less than I hoped, but probably not less than I expected over the 4 weeks. Alastair is a little legend but just that wee bit to young to be able to tow through the mangroves checking pots, re baiting and handling muddies independently :) Thus I found my windows few and short but I believe I made the most of them.

Total tally:

Legal males: 5

Undersize males: 4

Jennies:  8 or 9

This tally may not excite the avid crabber but with the time I had and considering all crabs were caught in the immediate proximity of my house it certainly gives me a little motivation to do this more on weekends when the tide suits late afternoon drop ins and early morning pick ups (from a land based point of view).

a lot was learnt as well, subtle things like better bait attachment and locations and I am sure there will be plenty more to learn like all fishing in the future!

It was actually good to explore land based some spots I have often overlooked. Several reaches of local creeks are so pristine they feel like they could anywhere. I look forward to checking some of these out by kayak as with abundant bait and very little pressure, surely there could be my first Brisbane post code jack lurking.

Highlight was probably using the biggest buck of the mission to make crab, butter, salt and pepper sandwiches which fed my immediate family and 8 other neighbours :) 

Now back to the grind. I do get down to Casurina foe Aus Day weekend so hopefully a report will be forthcoming.

Cheers.

Angus

1.jpg

Great stuff Angus - much easier to do (and get motivated to do) when you can walk from home. I've tried a couple of times landbased but to be honest the effort (and smell) of putting pots in and out of the car, plus trying to clean myself to get back into the car, is hard to justify without results.  Yep, back to the grind for me tomorrow too - bring on Easter!!

I think you did really well on this @Angus. To be able to walk down and get a(couple of) feed of crabs over a month is pretty good. I would hate to be a crab around the Christmas/summer period. Considering how many people target them around this time, there's a good chance your days as a living crab are numbered. This is why I rarely chase them around this time, as the amount of effort for the reward is seemingly a lot less.

Much like Kelvin, I've tried several spots around Brisbane for the easier option of land based crabbing, but it's always hit and miss. You've obviously got a killer spot, hold onto that!

10 minutes ago, Tybo said:

I think you did really well on this @Angus. To be able to walk down and get a(couple of) feed of crabs over a month is pretty good. I would hate to be a crab around the Christmas/summer period. Considering how many people target them around this time, there's a good chance your days as a living crab are numbered. This is why I rarely chase them around this time, as the amount of effort for the reward is seemingly a lot less.

Much like Kelvin, I've tried several spots around Brisbane for the easier option of land based crabbing, but it's always hit and miss. You've obviously got a killer spot, hold onto that!

Rarely did I get more than 1 in the same spot had to move a bit. And to clarify nkt all spots were walking but very short drives.

Nice one angus. Might inspire me to hit up a land based place I used to drop pots in with some success. Not walking or a short drive though unfortunately. Love the crab sangas... how do you do yours? I’m all about fresh white bread, butter, bit of pepper and good whole egg mayo... :heart:

7 hours ago, benno573 said:

Nice one angus. Might inspire me to hit up a land based place I used to drop pots in with some success. Not walking or a short drive though unfortunately. Love the crab sangas... how do you do yours? I’m all about fresh white bread, butter, bit of pepper and good whole egg mayo... :heart:

Same but not even mayo. So rich and good!

G'day Angus,

Just read your post, you done well mate considering the effort you put in. I've done the hard yards walking through mangrove mud to get to what I thought to be a nice productive creek only to discover a lot of foot prints and broken beer bottles. I sunk 4 pots, left for an overnight soak. Went back next day only to find zero crabs and yes, pots were interfered with. Always another day and different location, land based does has its challenges.

19 minutes ago, chewbacoo said:

G'day Angus,

Just read your post, you done well mate considering the effort you put in. I've done the hard yards walking through mangrove mud to get to what I thought to be a nice productive creek only to discover a lot of foot prints and broken beer bottles. I sunk 4 pots, left for an overnight soak. Went back next day only to find zero crabs and yes, pots were interfered with. Always another day and different location, land based does has its challenges.

Landbased as has that downside, if it's easy for you, it's easy for someone else too. If you were to give it another go I'd recommend using this rope and tying it as low to the ground and low water mark as possible. Camouflage is your best friend when it comes to crabbing.

Archived