Aluminium/marine Welder Required

kmcrosby78

Anyone know of a good/cheap marine welder near-ish to Murarrie (or mobile)? Need to get the frame for my centre consoles windscreen cut and then some wider aluminium pipe welded to it so I can re-attach it. Have the contact for one mob based in Birkdale but they're not answering so am assuming they're off on holiday this week - ideally I'd like it done by Monday so I can bring the boat home :) Cheers.

Ended up hearing from the guy that I'd been trying (Dad has used him previously) but then not again when I needed to confirm the job/quote, etc so I've lined up Kennedy Welding at Coorparoo to come and do the job at Dad's house. Should be about $200 max (you pay for minimum 2hrs). Think I'll try to purchase some larger aluminium tubing and get him to weld that to the bow rails to store the reef anchor as there isn't room in the anchor well. Should be able to get that done all as part of the one price as it won't all take two hours.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Ended up hearing from the guy that I'd been trying (Dad has used him previously) but then not again when I needed to confirm the job/quote, etc so I've lined up Kennedy Welding at Coorparoo to come and do the job at Dad's house. Should be about $200 max (you pay for minimum 2hrs). Think I'll try to purchase some larger aluminium tubing and get him to weld that to the bow rails to store the reef anchor as there isn't room in the anchor well. Should be able to get that done all as part of the one price as it won't all take two hours.

Good one mate. I am keen to do this same thing with the reef anchor. I'd love a pick when you get it done. Also would love that contact. 

Didn't end up getting the tubing done for the anchor - wasn't sure if they would weld on the boat with fuel in the tank and figured I could use a U clamp to attach it to the bow rail (could even use PVC pipe).

The welding job is done - bit of a hiccup as it was windy so he had to take the cut of parts back to the workshop and finish them. I wasn't there as we left for Noosa that day so will pick them up on Monday arvo - am hoping the collars fit well so when I bolt them on there won't be any/much movement.

Dad had a great idea for the canopy which we went ahead with - got the top of the legs cut so that the canopy part is totally separate and can be stored on it's side along the inside of the boat (between the console and the gunnels). Just like the framing for the windscreen, we got a metal collar welded to the top of each leg. So the legs are removable and extendable and the canopy is removable which should be user friendly and means I can use it now and save money on a bimini. Good result :) 

Will take some photos next weekend.

Kennedy Welding - https://www.kennedywelding.com.au/

• 2 weeks later...

@Drop Bear I'm afraid I can't really recommend them now the job is finished. Not a terrible experience, but for a simple job things were made harder than they should have been with mistakes made and the quality of the cutting and welding wasn't fantastic (not terrible, but certainly room for improvement). Possibly the job may have been done better if I took the boat to the workshop, but for a job on a boat I'd look elsewhere (can give you the number of the other bloke if you like - Dad said he had done a good job on a caravan at his place, I was just in a hurry to get my job done so went elsewhere.

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

@Drop Bear I'm afraid I can't really recommend them now the job is finished. Not a terrible experience, but for a simple job things were made harder than they should have been with mistakes made and the quality of the cutting and welding wasn't fantastic (not terrible, but certainly room for improvement). Possibly the job may have been done better if I took the boat to the workshop, but for a job on a boat I'd look elsewhere (can give you the number of the other bloke if you like - Dad said he had done a good job on a caravan at his place, I was just in a hurry to get my job done so went elsewhere.

Thanks mate. I am not cashed up at the moment so trying not to spend money until foot sorted out. I will grab it off you down the track. I might try and do the pvc trick in the mean time. 

Archived