Brisbane River Session #170

AUS-BNE-FISHO

You’ll get them Hamish, just like you have worked out all those other things you do so well now. Funny, Mrs Scaley decided this morning she would like a feed of prawns and crab for dinner tonight so off to the Fish Factory we went. A half kilo of green prawns and two mud crab pieces (basically two halves) came to $84. Reminded me to dust off the crab pots and get busy catching my own. 

Kat is on the money with the call on drain openings. Not sure if this applies to spots up the river, but a pro-crabber told me a while ago that where you have a drop off, the muddies will wander across the top of the drop off and the sandies will be down on the deep side. And sometimes they are nowhere to be found.

2 hours ago, Kat said:

Good try Hamish.  Better luck next time.  I am certainly no expert but have found that if you can place to your pots near an inlet/gutter/drain coming out from the bank I have more luck.  Don't know whether Brisbane River has many of these like the creek does.

Thanks Kat. There aren’t many of these around but I think I can remember where a couple ones are near me, which I’ll try next time. 

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Oh well, at least you didn't get nipped. haha

Well said 😂 

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

You’ll get them Hamish, just like you have worked out all those other things you do so well now. Funny, Mrs Scaley decided this morning she would like a feed of prawns and crab for dinner tonight so off to the Fish Factory we went. A half kilo of green prawns and two mud crab pieces (basically two halves) came to $84. Reminded me to dust off the crab pots and get busy catching my own. 

Kat is on the money with the call on drain openings. Not sure if this applies to spots up the river, but a pro-crabber told me a while ago that where you have a drop off, the muddies will wander across the top of the drop off and the sandies will be down on the deep side. And sometimes they are nowhere to be found.

Thanks Steve. I’ll try this for next time. We were dropping our pots on the lower side of the drop offs so will have to try the upper sides next time as well as being near a drain. Good luck getting your own crabs too. 

Cheers Hamish