what I learned today (well, yesterday actually).

MattInOz

As an update... I pulled the wiring apart but everything was solid, and the pump appeared to be working. Filled the boat up with water, the float switch did it's thing, and the pump did nothing. Turned on the manual system and it still did nothing. Had to turn it off and on a few times and suddenly it started working. Going out to buy a new pump tomorrow.

I can get a 750GPH "Seaflo" one to replace my 500GPH "Bowline" one from Anaconda for the same price as my old 500 from BCF, and it takes the same size drain hose. Seems like a no brainer.

Gee, that sounds like a very tough day at the office. Glad you got it sorted.

What bait were you using ?

Around the base of the pilon that is the furthest upstream and closest to the south side, there is a bit of a hole. I haven't fished there for eons, but it used to hold pan size legal snapper. Outgoing tide, from memory.

Yeah great idea... so it's always right there. Funny, a spare bung was one of the parts I never thought I'd need in an emergency and rather it turned out to be the first one I needed. I won't be leaving land without a few on board from  now on.

That patch of reef sounds worthwhile, will have a look for it.

On 12/10/2023 at 6:13 AM, rayke1938 said:

I am a belt and braces person. When my boat is at rest the lowest point in the bilge is in the bow so I have 2 bilge pumps on separate circuits one in the bow and one in the stern. With no bung installed when you are under way the venturi effect will suck the water out from the bilge.

Cheers Ray

I did briefly consider pulling a bung once I got moving again but couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Thankfully the pump eventually kicked in. I've got a new one sitting on the dining table ready to go in today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 4:01 PM, ellicat said:

Gee, that sounds like a very tough day at the office. Glad you got it sorted.

What bait were you using ?

Around the base of the pilon that is the furthest upstream and closest to the south side, there is a bit of a hole. I haven't fished there for eons, but it used to hold pan size legal snapper. Outgoing tide, from memory.

Surfing the Youtubes today and came across this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bXZ77AttOQ