trolling motors. need info

MattInOz

Hey guys...

I have the oppourtunity to buy a used electric trolling motor and I really know bugger all about them so I'm here to pick the collective consiousness and take advantage of your combined wisdom.

Seller says it's a "Minn Kota RT/AP Trolling Motor" that comes with a 60" shaft, 55lb thrust, Maximiser, cordless remote control, corded foot control, 2 mounting brackets, and an anderson plug.

He's asking $600 for it, is that a reasonable price? What sort of things should I look for/be wary of with a used electric motor? Will it be appropriate for a 4.3m aluminium runabout with a 40hp and 2-3 POB? I'm assuming that doesn't have any of the funky GPS functions like spot lock and autopilot... can they be added? My boat has a two battery system with a 680CCA battery for the engine and a 780CCA battery for the "house" battery (yes I'm aware it's overkill for a house battery, it came with the boat)... could I run the motor from the house battery or would I need a third battery? Oh and what is a "maximiser"?

Something else I'm wondering... due to the design of my boat (windscreen, small bow area, bow rails) it'd be difficult to mount it on the bow, and a pain in the butt to deploy/retrieve. Can these things be stern mounted? I don't have much transom area as my boat has a splashwell incorporated and the outboard takes it all up so I can't use one of their transom mounts but it does have large horizontal surfaces either side of the transom to which I could deck mount the motor and it could lay along the stbd gunwhale when stowed... would this work or would I be going backwards when I want to go forwards? Would the 60" shaft be ridiculously tall on the stern? Can it be shortened?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.

Matt

Sounds like you would be better with a 54” and agree, you want spot lock as a priority.

Something that interfaces with your sounder so you can run a route and then have the leccy run it at whatever speed is also really handy as that way you can just run along a bank slowly casting snags and not have to worry about the controls.  That or you would need to be able to stand and use the foot remote.