Mud and Brissie river - 30th Mar 08

username_taken

Hit Pinkenba boat ramp at 6am and was amazed at how smooth the water was, even out into the bay it was glassed out, got across to Mud in no time at all. My mate Pete decided to make a proper effort at SP fishing, but like most of us do when we start on them he also had some bait.

Unfortunately everybody else ( apart from the fish ) was taking advantage of the glassed out bay as well. I only had plastics with me, and had a few half hearted strikes on my gulp alive 4" mullets, almost all resulted in missing tails ( they're great bait, but too soft ).

Got a visit by the water police and they told us it was pretty grim all over with barely anyone catching anything at all. As they left Pete wound up his 2" gulp shrimp ( dropped down right beside the boat ) and there was a flounder attached to it. Pete's first SP catch!

DSC03567.JPG.jpg

Shortly after Pete's squid was hit and he pulled up a nice grassy sweetlip weighing in at 43cm.

DSC03570.JPG.jpg

Not long after and I went to wind his squid in after a missed hit for him and there was a shovel on the end of it.

DSC03571.JPG.jpg

Things really died off after this, so we headed over to the beacons. Barely got any loving here, a few strikes ( more tails lost! ) here and then a shovelnose on squid again.

DSC03573.JPG.jpg

Headed back into the river and tried the rock wall at the mouth, nothing biting there so we headed right down to Aquarium Passage, just before it we spied a little beach so we threw some plastics there, and I quickly hooked onto a nice flatty. Pulled him right up beside the boat, but he dropped the hook before we could get the net there. Was a good 50+cm model.

Things went dead here, so we moved into aquarium passage. We were casting towards the rock wall ( and trees ) and I quickly hooked another flattie. This one we managed to net, but comically when I lip gripped him out, he manage to get off and landed on the side of the boat, a bit of flopping away ( and some swearing ) he got away. Another good 50cm specimen.

I got a few more strikes on flatties, but lost them, need to get new jigheads, my jighead box had gotten water in it so they'd rusted up.

finally hooked and landed a flattie, 47cm on the tape, and he decided to come home for lunch.

DSC03576.JPG.jpg

A few more bites, and tons more missing tails and we decided to call it a day.

Pete was using 3" gulp shrimp and didn't get a single hit while we were in the river, while I was getting pretty consistent strikes. I think it was bad jkarma for using bait.

Archived