Canoe Outrigger advice needed

rayke1938

I need some advice where to mount the single outrigger on my canoe.

I tried it with the outrigger mounted up towards the bow.

That way it did not interfere with paddling from the centre of the stern seat. I normally sit in the stern.

The problem is that only the last 2 feet of the outrigger sits in the water.

I could mount the battery for the electric motor right in the bow and that should help.

The other 2 options are to mount it midships as in the first photo or else mount it at the stern as in the last photo.

Another question is the outrigger also to supply additional buoyancy or is it to solely stabilise the canoe?

Any experts out there?

Cheers Ray.

Midships mount.

P1010232AFO-2.jpg

Stern Mount

P1010233AFO-2.jpg

I do not wish to drill any more holes just to experiment as it is already starting to look like a colander.

Ray,

I am by no means an expert, but I have a rosco that is 4.5m long. The outriggers arms join the cannoe at the 2.5m and 3.5m points from the back. The length from the back to the first arm (at the 2.5m point) gives enough room to use the oar.

I do have an electric and have the battery placed toward the front for better sit in the water. I assume the outrigger is for extra buoyancy (and I often have a lot of junk when I fish), but I do like the stability it gives. I have a stomach problem and will simply stand up in the canoe flicking lures and so on.

I hope this is some help.

Stewie.

Archived