shark fishing the pine

hypo herring

Guest IcEkNiGhT

I fish the pine every year and it is home to some very large sharks indeed, last year i hooked up using a 4 foot tuna as bait and the shark took around 800 of 80lb off me, i broke the line in the end got too drag happy.but nearly every trip there is a shark caught mostly around the 5-8 foot mark, i mostly use mullet or small jellybeans (tuna).

Hi mate,

If you are casting your baits, don't be afraid to throw out live mullet and let them sit on the bottom. Timing is important, try to fish an outgoing tide with either a new or quarter moon. Full moons are not favourable. Make sure your dead bait is fresh and always place a hook near the tail of the fish as that is where most sharks will target their attack their prey. Fish right through to the low tide and don't lose faith until that low has been and gone.

Don't think that you have to cast miles out either, often those whalers can be right in under your nose searching along the edges.

Try your luck during the day and night mate, late arvo and early morning probably good. Most importantly, fish when the tide is going down, use fresh bait only and watch the moon.

Cheers,

James

Mate from my experience in other rivers, you are more likely to encounter 3-4 footers.

30lb pound will deal with these and still allow for a lot of fun.

Although they might occasioanlly go up rivers, i dont think there would be a consistant number of 6 footers up the pine let alone 8 footers. I would love to be proved wrong with some photo's :)

But thats my gut feeling.

Good luck though.

And if you have never got one before, trust me, you will be stoked the first time with a 3-4 footer. I think my first shark would have been about 1 foot and i was livid :P

Angus

Guest IcEkNiGhT

yeh i got a few photos but dont have a scanner. biggest we got there so far is a wisker over 8 foot, thats tip to fork as i measure all my sharks, im goin this weekend hopefully so i will take the camera and get more photos i dont normally take photos just realease as quick as i can, i have a few pics of sharks i recently got up at mackay on a tiger shark expedition, lost one massive one on my 16/0 loaded with 130lb and a 23lb stingray as bait. but got another shark on a smaller ray and no one can identify it,

btw the one last year we got a tad over 8 feet was caught on a abu 6500 with 30 lb braid, and a 3kg tailor dead as bait... that was caught off the hornibrook its self :P i always have more sucess with a floating bait there and preferably dead, used a live bait on one occasion floated it out past the car bridge and as it did i got a cod :) try a sealine 900h or simalar can be bought for about 180bucks at a cashconverter store.

Post edited by: IcEkNiGhT, at: 2006/11/15 16:06

Hi Hypo,

Yeah mate, as Angus said, you need to be careful that your target species matches your gear. Not that you can ever be fully prepared for what might turn up. Starting off small and working up from there will give you the knowledge and experience you need when managing bigger fish. Whatever happens, enjoy yourself and use caution.

James

Guest IcEkNiGhT

angus, yeh i got a pic of a bridge shark on comp now i had to take a pic with my phone in my photo album and then sms it to my email but i have your proof! i got pics of that unidentified shark im not sure if there on this comp but user marek \"stingray\" should still have them on his computer, if he dose not have them anymore i will get them scanned somehow eventually.... are we allowed to post our msn on here? i dont know how to put my pic on here but i will try, can u private msg me also? as i dont know how to do that. thankz

Hi Hypo,

Try your luck with some live poddy mullet caught in the cast net. Alternatively, rig a dead one and cast that out. if possible, pay your attention to live baits poddies and herring. they should serve you well.

You can try strip baits and the like but they will probably turn up eels and catties more than sharks. Not to say they won't work at all though!

Cheers,

James

Cooky: In the Brisbane River live baits always prefrom the best. And as James said they keep clear of the eels and catties. You do get the occasional huge ray, but that can be some bobus fun :) Live herring and poddies is usually the go. But dont be afraid to use wat you can. A couple of the bigger sharks i have seen from the river have been caught on live luderick that have turned up in the net!

Iceknigh: No worries putting your MSN up. There was actually a post ages ago where a lot of people did it. So go ahead.

Angus

My biggest shark (5.5ft) was from the Brisbane River caught on a big 45cm Grey Morwong which was caught in the cast net. As Angus said I have found live Luderick around 30-40cms to be excellent live baits. That's if you know where to catch them ;) . We have never caught a shark on dead bait and we have used a load of different baits. I would say the way river sharks feed in the murky water is by using sensors at their snout. Which is why I think we have never caught a shark on dead bait. Sure people catch them on dead bait but I'd say it's just because the shark comes across it by accident. Though out in the bay is a different story.

Troy

As far as the debate against live vs strip baits go, of all the sharks my group have caught they have all been on dead/strip baits. This has been no doubt due to the fact that we have only just started casting netting recently...

As far as strip baits go, Pike Eel fillet is deadly. On our last trip (where the shark got attacked by its mate) we had live mullet, live herring and live catfish in the water yet this tiny little piece of eel came up trumps lol. Any ever better, I have a suspicion that catfish don't like eating eel (which would be the only thing they don't eat), but there haven't been many around lately for me to be sure.

cheers, and I can't wait till BRC06:cheer:

Archived