Caloundra Fishing advice

brisbanebound

Got the in-laws arriving on the 21st from kiwi land and we are all heading up to Collundra on the 1st nov for a week. At last a holiday!! Been working 5 days after arriving so really looking forward to it.

Just need some advice folks on nice spots to fish in the area and what type of bait etc to use.

I imagine it would be surf fishing so will propbably take a bag of pillies and squid. Is there any rocky points like North Straddy where Angus and other folk do a bit of damage on SP's etc?

Cheers in advance

Jamie

I got a unit up there that has a jetty between Bullcock and Golden beach.. it produces a lot of fish at times.. but that area is sometimes hit hard with fishing.. the mouth of the passage has a rocky point to fish off but the water does rush through there. Its great fun to drift the mouth of the passage with soft plastics so i guess land based would be ok as well.

if u go futher up the passage u wil come to millitary jetty that is also a good producer of almost all types of fish at times. And then There is the canals arround pelican waters where u can get Barra..( but they would be far and few between) Prawns will also do the trick.. my fav bait up there is chook gut.. little messy but if u put that on a suicide hook its a definate fish catcher.. sorta also makes its own burley..B)

yeh.. u wil have a blast.. chook gut can be bought frozen at most fish shops up there.. and is usually the cheapest bait u can buy.. just make sure u got a spare rag or 2 as its messy as the intestine is full of the feed/seed that there grown on.. this makes the best burly trail comming off ur hook.. but is sorta messy.. of coarse u can wash ur hands in the water at ur feet..

if you have a boat make your way over to the sand bank that runs along the end of bribie... you can pump yabbies or catch soldier crabs and get whiting and flathead in close at high tide. jig for herring off most jetties for live bait for trevally- small goldens weren't that uncommon. when the water is running nice and clear you can get pike on virtually any shiny lure- we used gold feather spoons. small moses perch seem to be really common around this area so use as large a hook as you can because a lot of them seem to gut hook. good luck.

Archived