Colmslie Report 25/10/08

Enjoyfish1

Have you tried the back side of the jetty on the upstream side. There's a million fiddler crabs there at low tide. Makes me think it would be a reasonable hunting ground for an estuary cod or breambo. If you have a look at low tide you'll also notice a little depression that runs parallel to the rock walkway about 2 or 3 metres out from it. Only small "structure", but still structure

theres a bit of a flat there, as Ellicat said... all those rays prolly comin in suckin the guts out of all those fiddler crabs at night like they do..

but it looks to me like the kinda spot that might yeild a threadie or flattie on the good nights, yes or a bream or cod.

maybe try live bait for a few nights...

really its a pity the built a warf there, waste of money , its kinda stuck out on the flats, needs to be 50 foot longet at least.

Dan

if your wanting a threadie 6 lb is too light, 8 lb and 10 lb leader might get you there is your carful.

bream you can go light, flattie you need a decent leader like 10lb on 6 lb line.

depends really, i mean if your getting snapped off, then go a little heavier.

everyone gets snaped off, some time because you have to kinda keep the gear light.

Dan

Hi paul10,1st congrats on your 100,your going better than the Aussie cricketers.

Your Q`s are like ,how longs a piece of string,no offence,there are many relivant answers.

With each of my spin reels I buy an extra spool,1 has light,1 has heavier lineage,which I hope will handle the range of fish I am targeting,or may encounter,depending on rod selection.

Day or night?

Again a broad Q.IMO night time,less boat traffic,less anglers at land based spots,fish are less timid seem to feed more aggressively.This of course is all depending on species.

Dawn and dusk,good time.

But first and fore most any time you can fish is a good time

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll keep trying as its my local, and with live baits in the water all the time, something decent has to pass by sooner or later (hoping a big threadie):fishing: . I agree that the jetty should be out a bit deeper, it is very shallow in there even on a big high tide.

I've spent many hours at Colmslie jetty over the past few months for very little return:( I normaly fish with two rods. one with a live bait and the other floating around prawns with no sinker. I always catch at least 2 or 3 Bream on the Prawns, But I get picked to pieces by the crabs with my live bait.:blink:

I've had a couple of good runs with the live baits but no hook ups. Thats why I keep going back, this is the night, this is the night. I've had enough of the friggen place:laugh: When the Prawns come back into the system I'll be trying there again;)

Good luck with them mate

Jayson

Enjoyfish1 wrote:

Thanks Jeff f, I'll will give the jetty another serious go and then try the beach up a bit further. It would be nice to have more landbased spots, or better still, someone with a tinnie who seriously chases threadies and jew!!!!

maate check the deckie wanted posts

on thursday nights,friday arvos and saturdays, there are a few of us on here who are regularly looking for someone to come out, landing m30+ threadies with no net or gaff or m20+ threadies wrapped around your anchor rope alone can be a bit of a challenge

company is good too;)

Thanks flattie. However is the extra length of the leader for the power of a threadie or is it to keep the livie off the bottom as opposed to anchored?

dunno, I think it just gives you a bit more play with a livie and a bit of abrassion resistance.

my 40lb leader i was recommended to me but im thinking its a little excessive ,i am going to try some vanish 20lb leader.

I used to catch them on 18lb mono without a worry,

mind you i got snapped off a few times.

but yeah from the replies on here you get the picture, I said 8lb but was refering to Berkely fireline,that actually breaks at 8 kilo, so landing one on 8lb braid is not totally out of the question,

but yeah they guys are right,prolly 20lb leader minimum.

Dan

flatty_catcher wrote:

if your wanting a threadie 6 lb is too light, 8 lb and 10 lb leader might get you there is your carful.

bream you can go light, flattie you need a decent leader like 10lb on 6 lb line.

everyone gets snaped off, some time because you have to kinda keep the gear light.

Dan

4lb is enough for threaddies and jew - all my threaddies and jewies have been caught using 4lb braid, its even enough for flatties. leader size though for threaddies 8lb + is required but it also depends on the structure your are fishing near

namyau wrote:

flatty_catcher wrote:

Dan

4lb is enough for threaddies and jew - all my threaddies and jewies have been caught using 4lb braid, its even enough for flatties. leader size though for threaddies 8lb + is required but it also depends on the structure your are fishing near

considering most 4lbs braid actually breaks at 12+lbs it is plenty strong enough

most of mine have been landed on 2 lb fireline crystal or 4lb stren heavy cover monno

Archived