reel for a 6" shimano taipan spin rod?

Richo80

rmg scorpions are $7 at amart mitchie , adrian i live at ashgrove so not far for me either, snap swivels are 50 cents , lotsa soft plstics for sale , i was chatting to the dude there he reckons mitchie and stafford store are minimising their fishing gear and virginia and strathpine will be the biggest for tackle etc , what are abu reels like???

the 2000/2500 size reels are basically the manufacturer's size specifications. Generally speaking the smallest is around 1500 next up is 2000, then 2500 and so on. A shimano symetre 1500 will be smaller than a symetre 2500 reel but comparing it to another brand the symetre 1500 might be about the same size as a daiwa 2000. I'm just making the comparisons up but have a look at the various fishing brand sites and click on a model, you'll see the sizes listed. cheers

Richo80, I usually go to the amart at stafford, not much sales going on now, i might pop into the one at mitchie to have a look.

Eug wrote:

my question, what actually determines if a reel is 2000 or 2500, and how can you tell?

cheers

eug

Normally the reel will be marked by the manufacturer either on the spool or the reel itself.

Some manufacturers use a different method of sizing, ie Abu garcia makes a series called the 600 series (6 bearings each) and the models then go 601,602,603, etc. the 601=1000, 602=2000, 603=3000 etc.

In some instances the difference in size between 2 models can be just a different spool size. for example a 2000 and 2500 may be the same size and mechanically identical, but the 2500 will have a larger spool and therefor increased line capacity and possibly a different ratio.

Rocket

best thing to do is have the rod with you and try the reel on it see how it feels and balances

recomending a reel by size is a waste of time unless you are familliar with the reel the sizes mean squat

i've got .500 size reels(mitchells) that hold the same amount of line as 2000 shimano and 2500 diawas

Archived