Surf Rod recommendations

raven

Hi All

Looks like my lovely lady might be getting me a surf rod for my birthday :cheer: With so many options at the tackle store I'm a little perplexed. Could someone please offer some recommendations on combos? I only have a small car, so it would need to be the type of rod that splits in two. Apart from that I'm open to suggestions. What length rod? What sort of reel? i.e. Alvey type vs egg beater - which is the better way to go? What sort of dollars should be put aside for a decent outfit?

Thanks heaps

Cheers

paul...

What type of fish do you plan to target in the surf and are u reasonably careful when rebaiting etc or are you likely to drop the rod and knock it around in the sand? If u can use an alvey and dont mind using one then i would definitely suggest an alvey, But if u prefer spinning reels then go that way but just be careful, Once it hits sand or water it may well render it useless.

Thanks for the feedback. Have used Alveys a few times and yeah I'm quite comfortable with them. Have just noticed lately (on Ifish and other shows) more people using the other type and was wondering why that was I guess.

Target fish...? Honestly, I'm a bit of a fish tart - will happily catch anything! But realistically, just bream, dart, flathead, whiting and perhaps some tailor would keep me quite happy.

Local spots for me would be the Redcliffe Penn or Bribie Is.

Cheers

Yeah for bream whiting and dart you'd want a pretty light rod, Something about 5kg id say and id run 8 or 10lb mono on it with a 600 size alvey (6inch diameter spool) For tailor however id use something around 8-10kg and buy a 2nd spool for the alvey and fill it with 15 or 20lb mono, or just buy another alvey (I use a 650 6.5inch alvey for tailor, Look for a 12 or 13 ft rod around those sizes and you should be set. I dont use 2 piece surf rods but our 1 piece snyderglas customs have lasted ages, I think my dad has had his 2 for about 25 years and same goes for a couple of his alveys.

I'd recommend an Alvey all the way, especially if you are comfortable using them.

For Redcliffe/Bribie you would be able to get away with a rod between 10-12 foot & a 6" Alvey

If you wanted to head to somewhere with some big breakers to chase tailor, jews, etc you'd want a 13-14ft rod and a 6.5" Alvey.

Alvey's do a couple of combos that are fairly readily available.

They do a 6 inch Alvey teamed up with a 10'6" rod, these can be picked up for around $100, and they also do a 6.5" Alvey matched to a 13 foot rod, you can pick these up for about $140.

With these two combos, the reels are both the graphite backed models, which are still virtually unbreakable, but heaps lighter than the stainless models. The rods aren't the flashest around, but they are bloody STRONG glass rods! And they are both 2 piece rods.

Also in the way of cheaper rods take a look at the Wilson Heritage Series low-mount rods, these are quite good value for money. Also Jarvis Walker has some fairly cheap low-mount surf rods suitable for Alveys, I've seen these for as little as $30.

Or if you wanted you could scout around garage sales & pick up a couple of old Alveys for cheap & have a bit extra to spend on a better rod.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived