Retrieving kokoda gold tournament lures

nadders

Hey guys, I picked up a few cheap lures to start off with (never fished with lures before) with the intention of trolling them behind a kayak. But when i'm just flicking them around, i'm wondering with the retrieve if i should just reel in at various speeds or actually jerk the rod around?

all my lures are similar to this one:

/>http://www.kokodafishing.com.au/catalogue/tournament-gold-lures/avo.aspx#

i had a bit of a fish last night during the run-in just to get used to using a lure, didn't get any attention at all although i now know i didn't tie it on right (i used an improved clinch instead of a loop knot) so it was probably swimming poorly.

but anyway, i'm trying to picture a little fish swimming around and i'm not sure how many vertical jerks and slow falls they make in the wild, lol.

cheers :D

Behind the kayak, just 20 or 30 metres of line out and paddle slow.

Retrieving I'd start with a slow steady retrieve and see what the lure does. Start mixing it up with some little pauses, particularly if it is a floating or suspending lure (just sits still in the water when you stop winding)

Lures are just as much about getting them where the fish are as the retrieve. along edges of weed beds, structure, moving from flats over channels etc etc.

Archived