Newstead park, 28/11/08

nadders

So I had the day off yesterday and even though it was raining and miserable I couldn't stand sitting around inside. I decided to see if the fish were biting after the rain at newstead area.

Went there from about 10:00am - 1pm, didn't get anything much until about 12 when i started pulling in a few bream. Plenty of small ones and one decently fat 32cm specimen who was going to feed me for dinner but in the time i took to open the eski lid he jumped off the edge of the walkway and away he went :( oh well lesson learned.

What was a bit weird is that these fish gave absolutely no fight at all, i mean none at all. The 32cm fella, i didn't even know I had a fish on the line until i pulled him out of the water :blink: using circle hooks, he took a few pecks at the bait and then nothing, no notable sign that he was swimming away or anything, he seemed to just be floating with the bait in his mouth :| after a while i slowly reeled in and i still couldn't feel his weight but i guess he got hooked then and made a slow swim toward me.

Does all the freshwater make them docile or something?

i have caught my biggest bream in the same conditions as well, was the noosa river after the floods, i think all the rain water lowers oxygen levels or something and slows them down a bit, put it this way i had a 35cm fork lenght fish on but in the pitch dark thought there was a crab hanging onto my bait as no pull what so ever. was so disapointed!

Archived