Beware of Fraud-Can the real Ebay please stand up

theokri

Hi Guys,

Thought I will share a near miss I had in the last two days.

I was shopping for a second hand Landcruiser UTE and found what seems to be a really good deal on Gumtree for $7500.The vehicle was green in colour and looked in good shape, exactly what I needed for the boat. I responded to the mail and was answered by the Seller the next morning via mail . He indicated that he was going through a divorce and therfore needed to sell the vehicle as soon as possible.

He indicated that in the interest of both parties the sale would be handled through Ebay. I agreed and promptly received a mail from "Ebay" indicating that the sale has been approved and that once the money was deposited through Westernunion into a holding account the vehicle would be delivered for inspection. I thought it strange that the transfer would be going through Westernunion.I also found a few typo's in the mail.

I tranferred the money but did not provide the reference code that would allow the money to be collected. Something in the back of my mind worried me and I contacted E-bay directly to confirm the validity of the deal and informed the seller that I will forward the deposit reference to "Ebay" on confirmation of the validity of the deal. Took the missus to the movies and amazingly I had two e-mails from Ebay one indicating that the transaction was a fake and one indicating that it was 100% safe.

I went to Ebay's live help and they confirmed the one indicating that it was a fake came from them and the other not. I must congratulate the "real" Ebay on the professional help I received.

I got my money back but it was a close shave. Moral of the story be careful of these fraudsters. Still looking for a landcruiser!

I left out a bit of info which might be important as well. The seller indicated that due to divorce he is currently in the UK and the money had to be transferred there.

I had a mail form him a short while ago that I need to finalise the deal as soon as possible as two other people is also interested.

Maybe a parcel bomb would do.

The real Ebay forensic team is investigating at the moment

Archived