Want to buy a kayak...

kezza99

Looking at buying a kayak so i can do more than just onshore fishing...any suggestions on the type of kayak i should look at?....Is it possible to fit a small electric motor, ones at BCF for a few hundred $$....Obviously need room to fit watertight battery compartment....1 or 2 batteries?.....Any input would be good ...thanx

Gday mate.

I have a Viking Espri and i love.

However if you are super keen for an electric motor, which i admit would be cool for some of the bigger dams, Viking also do some great models for this sort of fishing.

There are two options for fishing kayaks with electric motors, the Tempo Fisherman 1 and the Tempo Fisherman 2.

I will attach a photo of my Kayak as well as the two fishing varieties. Also check your PM's.

Picture: My Kayak the Viking Espri customised with Rod Holders etc. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/2-61ca37cae06511141f9652daa69aeb8b.JPG

post-63-144598404944_thumb.jpg

For my set up (the espri) your looking at around $1000-$1100.

The blanks are cheaper, however i have had added to the blank back supporter, paddle clips, rod holders, dry storage bag. All these things i consider well worth the value as the make the whole experience infinently more comfortable. Also as i kayak often for 10 hours plus, well these little measures to improve comfort do go a long way.

The actual Tempo Fishing Kayaks are a little bit more and then obviously more again for the electric. Depending on where you plan to go i would think hard whether you really want an electric. I haev kayaked with a few people around dams covering a huuuge expanse of water and its never been a problem.

Oh and no, i do not think you would be able to fit an electric to my Espri. However i dont even plan on considering this so no biggy :)

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/01/04 12:45

I'm a little bit on the dumpy side.....but maybe your right i may not need the electric......as for the comfort issue, i like my comfort so yeah i would defiently go for the extra padding. Would like rod holders, dry storage,and paddle clips. Do you use some sort of anchoring system when you find a spot thats biting, i.e sand bag?

Couple of points.

1. Some dams (ie baroon) dont allow canoes or kayaks with electrics.

2, Small craft that are not registered are not required to carry safety equipment. However, if you dont, and get in to trouble, it is possible you will be charged with not meeting your general safety obligation. If you are on an inland waterway it is unlikely no anchor would be a problem, but if your at a surf beach without one and get swept out or something goes wrong, it is likely you will.

They refuse to define clearly the \"general safety obligation\" therefore when fishing fresh water with my unregistered boat I carry all safety equipment even though I do not have to by the chart of where you require what. But if something goes wrong a) I want to be as safe as possible, B) I dont want to get charged with breaching the general safety obligation. A Light canoe anchor and rope is only worth a few bucks, and if nothing else, allows you to take a rest when paddling against wind or tide.

Guy at north pine has a tempo 1 it only had a 28lb motor on it and was the fastest on the dam and went all day on quite a small battery.

A bit off subject but there is always 20 or so old surfboards and sailboards up at the local recycleland the ones with sails go fairly quickly but there are plenty of bare boards there. How woulld one of them go ? or could you strap 2 together and make a cat board?

I wouldnt try it because I cant swim and just think how easy a snake could get on.

Ray

Archived