Hays Inlet

hairyweasel

Later this arvo the Chief Financial Officer suggested that a walk by the water might be nice. I quickly checked the tide....0.44 at 6.20....perfect.I suggest that she would enjoy a walk on the old Hornibrook while I cast a few lures in the channel.

The deal was struck, I grab a baitcaster and a few lures and we're off!

Experience has taught me that when the tide is below 0.5m, it's and easy wade to the deep hole in the channel just inside the Redcliffe hump.

Conditions were perfect....sun low in the sky, flat water and a breeze at my back.

First cab off the rank was a time proven flattie fav, a stretch 5 in pink.

As I attached it I looked up to see the CFO heading off across the hump. Time was of the essence.

Worked the stretchy for 10 minutes and was just thinking of changing when I got the lizard signature bump, pause, rush. Not a big fish but a fish nonetheless.

Just managed to turn it.....game over. Didn't have it well hooked.

Decided to stick with the Manns. Cast it for another 20 min, looked up and saw the CFO coming back. Strewth....change lures for a few more casts.

As I'm doing so I notice a furry patch in the braid just above the leader. On inspection it's only superficial.

Quickly change lures and got it out in the channel. Couple of cranks and the lure touches bottom.

This time the bump is a big one. Heavy pause and then a huge run.

You guessed it the furry section let go.

Lizards 2 Weasel 0. Time to go home.

Met the CFO at the car and re-enact the last strike. She says "thats nice" and gets in the car.

Drove home with a grin like a split watermelon and the CFO asks why I'm smiling when I lost a $14 lure!!!

Some things non anglers will never understand.

Oh, If anybody pulls up a lizard sporting an orange Killalure, PM me and I'll forward my mailing address.

Cheers

Archived