Fish ID

Cowfish13

This might be a bit difficult as I didn't get a pic :blush: , but just thought I ask in case it was fairly common

Yesterday, casting around a beacon, there were a whole heap of these little fish busting up. We caught 3 on slugs and we couldn't figure out what they were. They looked like a cross between a Tuna and Bonito. They had yellow colourations on their fins, small tuna like teeth and they had dark navy blue spots on the top of their head (which was a bit flatened) and on their back (but not clearly on their sides).

They were all around 30cm long

My guess is some sort of Bonito, however, I havn't been able to find one that looks like it on google other than this one [ul]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_mackerel[/ul] which is a Slimey. This wasn't. Was a little bit stockier than the Slimies, but similar colourations. Slightly less blue/navy markingss, and a Tuna/Bonito tail (ie more forked) and had rough skin like a Tuna

Thanks

By the looks of the wikipedia page and your description, sounds like a yakka. Don't remember them having gnarly teeth though, but it's been awhile since I've caught them. Like Feral said, livies will do, but I've just called them yakkas.

Still not sure guys. It didn't have the horizontal bars of the watsons leaping bonito (originally had thought that), however, maybe because it was so young (<30cm) it hadn't developed them yet?

I'll just call it that anyway :)

Feral: That's one name we used for them :D. The Bonito and Tuna don't have a size limit so we figured we'd give one a go. Wound it in about 5mins later and only the head was left. Just missed the hook :(

Archived