Fish Farmed Whiting?

Brian D

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'll put it to you anyway. I was under the impression that DPI for some years has had aquaculture breeding of whiting(not sure what species) at Bribie Island(once again not sure where, but I believe down near Golden Beach). They also breed Mud crabs and Mangrove Jack there. A proposal was put nearly ten years ago to release bred stock into collapsed fisheries such as Hervey Bay. This was knocked on the head because they believed that the species was different and if cultured stock was to breed with native wild stock it would cause a muling effect and collapse the industry further(this was discovered along with Lake Tinaroo Barramundi being different to their wild cousins, with the same effect). Since then, the aquaculture program has been a bit stagnant I think. Don't know if this is what you mean.

I have a place in Hervey Bay and don't know of any aquaculture ponds, except at the end of my road at Booral. I was under the impression that they only bred aquarium fish though, but I could be wrong.

i was just reading Tybo about fish farming at Pulgul creek near the airport. bony bream of all things. still reading tho. interesting stuff.

heres the link - not sure of what date tho
/>http://www.widebaywater.qld.gov.au/latestnews/wbwcnews.php?subaction=showfull&id=1183592286&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

You might be right planetfonz, though of all the places to put it, with all the clean water why there? Pugul Creek is more like a drain, you can barely get a canoe in there. And funny enough that's where the old refuse tip is. I wondered why they closed it down a couple of years ago, but you still can't get anywhere near it. Great find though, interesting stuff.

Archived