Garmin GPS 72 vs Garmin eTrex H

werewolf

Help me choose my bday present :cheer: These are two likely units so far. I haven't found anything suitable in other brands (yet).

The 72 ($229 at BCF, $208 at JAS) floats, has a bigger, higher res LCD. The eTrex ($139 at BCF, $135 at JAS) is a fair bit cheaper and can hold 10,000 points per track whereas as the 72 can only hold 2048, which is a massive difference! I would have hoped the more expansive unit had more memory!

The 72 comes preloaded with American marine points. If these were deleted, does it free up space for the track history?

Can any GPS users tell me how many points you would expect a track to generate on say a half day paddle / fish? I want to be able to use the "TrackBack" feature where you can follow the exact route home, but if ot runs out of points it would be a bit ordinary :ohmy: I guess it depends on the frequency of plotting points, but I can't seem to find this in the manual. ie 2 points per min = 17ish hours worth of track history on the 72.

Can you get a 12V for connecting them to a battery, and will they still be waterproof? The accessories list only shows the car 12V lead.

Are the screens readable in full sun?

Another other important differences?

thanks

wwolf B)

i have 2 plotters in the boat, 2 different purposes. i use my track feature at a point nearly every 5 mtrs and will use around 95 percent of the memory for a days fishing, but your needs are different from mine, the first 20 ks is pretty straight forward for me, so it doesn' t get turned on.

Garmin has a "man overboard function" by holding down the enter key for about 2 seconds. Which is a adding a waypoint on the fly. It does pop a menu where can rename it etc, or just hit the enter key to accept the default number assigned and it keeps going.

I have a 72 with a 12v lead. The lead has a std lighter plug, but it's easy to alter it to battery terminals.

The port where the lead plugs into the back of the unit is still waterproof with the cable connected. The male pins of the unit actually protrude inside a socket that is sealed from the internals of the unit. So in effect, the connection can get water in it in the event of a capsize, but the water cannot get into the unit. Not sure if I have explained it well???

Cant comment on waypoints as I've never run out of memory.

I dont have any trouble reading the screen in direct sunlight.

Cheers.

werewolf wrote:

Also Feral, how easy is it to save a waypoint on the fly on the Garmins? Can you just press a button on the go, or do you have to go through a menu?
if you also press and hold the enter button for 2 seconds and release, then again to confirm. done

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting a GPS 60. It has a high res screen and more memory over the 72, plus a bit more user friendly. Battery life is better and it comes with the data cable and software. The software lets you import your routes into Google Earth, so it should be a lot of fun B)

PS - I was reading online that you need the "pro" version of Earth ($400 bucks worth) to do imports, although I only have the freebie version. Looks like the Garmin software gets around that :) I'm looking forward to my first trolling session with it ;)

Archived