AFO Club Day

fishing-mavericks

After hearing from a forum member asking for a spot on my next trip in the boat, it gave me an idea and just thought I'd put it out there for everyone to consider... but what would you think about having a club day where all us lucky buggers that have a boat, agree to take out a AFO member that doesnt have access to a boat. Kind of like a 'sponsor a greenhorn' kind of event.

I realise from the boaties point of view, it's not that enticing coz there is always a long list of freeloaders wanting to jump on board the next trip. But from the greenhorns point of view, it would be a great opportunity to get out on the water to catch some different fish and network with other members. It's an aussie tradition to help your mates that are less fortunate so I think the concept has merit

Maybe holding bit of a friendly fishing competition with a bbq after would ensure a good time was had by all! :unsure:

Mate I think this is a good idea and happens informally most of the time.

How about we do this on the same day as the upcoming swap meet?

This is at Wello Point and is already going to be a good social day so we might as well capitlise on that.

Cheers.

Angus

there always is decky spots going on here.and at events there decky spots and socials.the

things like the swap meet ,there decky spots .and good to meet people .same with the casual socials good to meet people in a layed back way.

but still a good idea fishing mavericks always room for more socials i think.

just imagine if every1 turned up that would be a lot of boats and people.

i totally agree. its a great idea.

i, a noob, have been wanting to learn from more experienced anglers for a long time...

and its difficult to get better at fishing when you cant access good fishing areas because you dont have a boat...

and as for the problem of freeloading... well i guess we can always implement some form of "token of appreciation"... like keeping the bait alive... helping to clean the boat... retreiving the anchor...

hell i'd gladly do the above if it means getting a chance to fish from a boat...

i think most decky's would be happy to pay there way .help out on the boat ,help cleaning the boat after ,splitting the cost.etc

i always have even with my dad ,once i was a teen and moved out if i got invited out i put $ to the cost,and help out and clean up.

i think it like a unwritten law ,if u get in invited u contribute to it all.

maybe its just the way i grew up .pack the boat help get it ready ,help out ,unpack and clean at the end.that's the way its been even when me and my bro's where little kids ,like 5 years old and so on.

fishing-mavericks wrote:

ah yes now I see! Mate this sounds like an awesome idea, but I gotta be up the coast for a wedding that day so cant make it sorry :(

I'll leave the boat tied up at the wello jetty with the keys in it, just give it a clean after yr done okay ;)

Watch out for us freeloaders:huh:OMG did I type that out loud:P

Dean.

Top Idea! As a future boat owner (with no experience apart from the odd Pedalo at Butlins Holiday Camp) and having come into fishing at a relatively late point in me life, any time out in a boat with an experienced fisho is worth it's weight in gold. (In fact, any time doing anything, fishing or not, with an experienced fisho is cool and educational!) I've now been out 3 times with Rob and have learnt heaps about boats AND fishing that is impossible to learn if going it alone. Cheers Rob and AFO! I'm way glad AusFish was money to join and found you lot instead B)B)B)B)B)

Archived