Blinky

Hi All,

I have been using the site a little for a few months and have now finally registered. I don't get out fishing as much as I would like but I am going to change that I hope. This seems to be a vibrant and polite forum, I have read quite a few threads today and will continue to do so.

I used to fish a lot more as a kid down around Gosford and surrounds and have had some very limited experiences in the NT but now live in Brisbane. So any advice you can offer on good local places will be appreciated! I have been trying out places such as Nudgee and the Shultz Canal, but to date have not had a lot of luck. I did get a good Bream not to long ago there, but mostly Catfish, which I threw back in... though reading the forums here maybe I should have given it a go on the plate!

My partner and I are interested in fishing for food, while I appreciate sport fishing would be great fun, our main reason for getting out there is to get dinner. I am going to buy my partner some gear (new rod) tomorrow for her birthday, not a typical birthday present for a girlfriend I guess, but I know she will be stoked. Actually look who I am talking too... it's probably a very normal present around here.

Anyway looking forward to the wealth of experience located within these forum walls.

Cheers!

Hey Mate,

Welcome to the site :laugh: I'am land base most of the time and i landed a 73cm Dusky flathead on fresh prawns at Nudgee (low tide on the flats). Try get into Sp and HB fishing it great fun and your always flicking and retriving so it's fun. :P I have neever caught a fish on a SP but if great fun for everyone.

Hope this helps :laugh:

THX

PLUGGa

Thanks Plugga.

Haven't had any experience with SP (which I am going to assume means Spinnerbait?) fishing, but keen to get to know what is the best approach for the local waterways. I read your other thread on the Flathead earlier today, nice fish, love eating them too, so hopefully I can get into some of them soon.

Welcome to the site mate firstly :) , SP meaning soft plastic mate which is a great way to fish and produces the goods. Keep your eye on the going fishing threads as theres always someone going somewhere( maybe in your area) that u could catch up with.

Anyway tight lines to ya :)

Dean ;)

Oh year cause SP has a 'p' in it not a 'b' lol, way to really show I am out of touch. So speaking of plastics I have been interested in trying them, last time we went out I nearly bought some. I might give Nudgee another go tomorrow and try some. Anything I should know when buying them?

Thanks Dean, I will keep an eye on the threads for people in my area, best way to learn the spots and techniques I reckon. :cheer:

kiwifisho wrote:

Welcome to the site mate firstly :) , SP meaning soft plastic mate which is a great way to fish and produces the goods. Keep your eye on the going fishing threads as theres always someone going somewhere( maybe in your area) that u could catch up with.

Anyway tight lines to ya :)

Dean ;)

I totally agree with Kiwifisho. Always be on the go when someone's going. Always fun to meet other AFO'ers.

EMP:)

I dont really fish Nudgee but if your thinking of buying some plastics mate u cant really go past Gulp shrimps 2" and some squidgy wrigglers in the 3",and also some 1/8 jigheads, these i find are great for flatties and whiting and bream which u will find at Nudgee. :)

Dean ;)

Welcome aboard!

I don't think many (if any) people will criticise your decision to take a few fish for a feed as long as you stick to bag limits and size restrictions.

You would probably be suprised with just how many people enjoy fishing, but don't really eat fish...like me :blush:

I hope that your AFO experience continues to be a positive one, and look forward to your reports and input :)

Rocket

this might help ya out! there is soon to be a swap meet or afo club day down at wellington point, fishing wise, not sure about the area, but will be a good place to meet a few people, starts at 10 am and most will be fishing around the area, just look for the afo shirts, good lookin sorts with rods. that'll be us.:P fishermen in their prime.

Thanks for the replies people :)

Very mindful of size and bag limits (though I would be amazed if I got to a bag limit!) I do intend to buy something to measure catch with today and download a size and bag limit chart from the DPI website before I go out.

I like Wellington Point, nice spot. Never fished there before, I will keep my eye on the site for details of the meet.

Certainly a friendly forum this one, Cheers all.

(need a thumbs up smily)

Well it didn't go quite to plan, lunch went a little longer than expected and we did not get out there. But I did take all the advice of Plugga and Kiwifisho and bought the recommended plastics, so bring on the long weekend :)

Cheers.

Archived