BSFC Meeting

Angus

Well the Brisbane Sports Fishing Club meeting was pretty col. I went with Ando and Ash Guest speaker really knew his stuff and showed some great knots and rigs for marlin. As some of these were mate on a Tiagra 80W it gave me quite a few ideas for land based sharking :)

In particular he went through various knots for doubles and joining.

The Standards spiders hitch, bimini twist and plats.

Spiders Hitches were the least prefered option as the line retains only 80% of its stength at this knot. However the bimini and plats retain 100% of their strength. I might look into the plats a bit better. (Dont use plats with Braid).

So i will deffenently be registering for at least 6 months so i can comepte in their interclub comp at bribie. Bonus points are awarded for lighter line classes. For example a 1 kilo bream caught on 2 kilo line will recieve more points than a 1 kilo bream on 4 kilo line. Should eb a fun comp.

It was good to meet another AFO member as well, Oztrav. See you at NP Saturday mate :)

Regards

Hi Angus,

thanks for the feedback mate. Great to see lots of new faces at the meeting and also to see so much interest in the game fishing topic is great for the speaker. We have a 'marlin' trip out from the Gold Coast on the Australia Day long weekend and I will post a report up for you.

Bit of confusion re the comp. The Bribie Island Sportfishing Club have cancelled their comp which they usually hold at Bribie Island on the first weekend in Feb.

The Brisbane Sportfishing Club comp is also held at Bribie Island but on the first weekend in March. This comp is definitely still on. More info can be found if you go to the calendar and also at http://www.brisbanesportfishingclub.com.au/Interclub2007.pdf

It is a good fun comp with some some good prizes on offer. There is accomodation available on site (very cheaply) so people can stay the whole weekend, and the yard is fully fenced to provide security for those with boats.

We provide pretest line for competitors for free with your nomination. Expect the competition to be tough and expect to see some very good fish weighed.

Jeremy

Archived