Newstead (18/01/07)

reef_raider

ok so brad and myself headed down to newstead yesterday to meet up with gerty and hopefully a few sharks, by the time we got there just after 11 gerty had already landed a 27cm bream on an sx40. the live bait situation was bad so just put on a few pilly chunks and flicked sx40's around while we waited. brad snagged a small cattie of around 20cm on a pillie chunk and gerty managed a small cod on an sx40 before everything went quiet.

at around 1:45 we decided it was time to move and headed a bit further down. wasn't too long before one of the reels went zzzzzzzzzzz and i ran over to it, bloody decieving bait runners, turned out to be a 30-35cm cattie got another small cattie and then brad hooked onto a ray after about 10minutes the dreaded snap happened and the ray was gone. o well lines back out and this run seemed more promising on my bait runner, a few nice head shakes and it was pulling some drag and then it surfaced and the disapointment showed imensly on my face, it was yet another cattie:angry: but this time it was an ok size measured 51cm to the fork and weighed in at 2kg. shortly after brad landed another small cattie.

gerty and i went over to try and get some more live bait, well i did he got talking to some guy who was awesome in gertys books because he uses sx40's :P managed about 7 or 8 livies so we headed back. we baited up the hooks with the livies (they dont last long when you put two on each hook):P and shortly after zzzzzzzz picked up the rod but it was gone, baited up again and then zzzzzzzzz another little cattie, went quiet for around half an hour or so and just as i was about to wind my rods in zzzzzz off goes the bait runner stupid thing another little cattie.

but all in all a fun day out.

total:

jake: 5 catties (and around 15 livies):P

brad: 2 catties

gerty: 1 bream, 1 cod

p.s have got a photo of the cattie which will go up tonight after work

Post edited by: reef_raider, at: 2007/01/19 07:07

Archived