spinning help?

benno89

Hey Mate, Ive got 6LB firleine (braid) on my little SP set up (sahara 1500 reel and sahara graphite SP rod (Shimano)), it AMAZING how much further you can cast braid compared to mono. When you get more experience you can go down to 4LB braid (makes it more funner when you get bigger fish) same goes for me.

Hopes this help...

THX

PLUGGa

B)

myself, if i intend to use 6lb braid, i will find the thinest diameter mono, 2or 4 lb, whack some of this onto the spool, the thinner the better. it gives something for the braid NOT to bed itself into when being put onto the reel. eg. if using 6 lb braid and 8 or 10 lb mono the braid will have a tennancy to wedge it'self into the mono rather than lying on top of it. use mono backing always, because braid is supposed to be applied to the reel pretty tight, if you can squeeze the braid when spooled up. it's to loose, so start again. the mono prevents spools from cracking under pressure, but it all depends if it was spooled correctly in the first place. it won't crack every spool you have, but it will crack them.

Like noname said always back the spool with mono. I like to do it also because the cheaper braids have a tendency to slip on the spool somtimes. The mono helps the braid grip the spool.

Have a great time with the new combo mate.

Cheers

DAn

I recently got the bug for casting lures and have gone from 10lb braid down to 3lb. Went out yesterday targetting some frogs,so I put on about 5ft of 10lb mono as a leader. Probably lucky that the frogs that I caught didn't take the lure whole, but it certainly did the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

The guy at the local tackle shop should have put the backing on the reel for you when he spooled it up with the braid. Take it back to him and tell him to fix it up most do not charge for the mono backing. The 6lb is a good starting point for you. Get some fluro carbon leeder if you can afford it. If not some mono as a leeder. There are some good sites that show you how to tie the knots needed. Learn a couple and master them.

Cheers and good fishing.

Archived