Flattie on the Peninsula

Freshy

Hi all,

Spent a couple of hours at Redcliffe in front of the lagoon flicking SP's today. Decided to try my hand at targeting bream.

Started at the groin at the end of Suttons Beach. Fished there growing up and it always produced bream, on bait anyway. So got out there, wind blowing, seemed more from the SE not the WSW as predicted. Anyway didn't have a lot of luck there so packed up the family and headed down to the front of the lagoon.

It was coming up to low tide and the jetty side of the groin was reasonably flat so I planted my self on the groin close to the rock wall flicking into the whole surrounded by rock. It looked good, reasonably clean, deep, plenty of structure to throw at and a few schools of bait about the place.

Anyway flicked around for quite a while and then a hook up. I assume it was a bream as it came over a little bommy and mid water. I say assume because I didn't get a clean hook up and didn't get to see any colour.

So I moved down a little to work some more water with a few bumps, but nothing landed yet. Then another move. Thought well no luck targeting bream lets try for a couple of flathead. Next cast into flathead ground, changed the retrieve and I'm on a nice little flattie, well hooked. It had an interesting tail, Ive attached a pic. Well interesting to me. Probably measured around 30 but didn't check. Wasn't out to catch a feed.

Well took a couple of snaps and out again, same retrieve and another little flattie, I'd say around the same size. This time though got a bit lazy and lifted its head a little and he shook the jighead loose. Silly me, though he was going back anyway. A few more casts and a couple of hits before I got the call to pack up camp and pick my son up from school.

I tried a few different plastics, 3 inch jerkshad in Nuclear Chicken, 3 inch banana prawn and shrimp in molting and a 4 inch minnow in pumpkin seed. All on a 1/16 and 1/20 jighead. The damage was done however on a 5 inch jerkshad in blue pepper neon on a 1/20 jighead.

Perfect mate. Much better.

I was just about to post this link for you but ill still do it in case it helps others.

This also includes the helpful photo resizer Feral designed.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=21&id=20545

Angus

Thanks Angus, got it sorted now.

Don't know that I've ever seen a tail like that on a flathead.

Yeah Stewie it appears a great spot. Want to give it a good crack when the weather settles a little more. Hopefully get some bream, I hear they're a little tough to crack on the plastics.

Enormoss, I know. I so wanted to give the first hour after the change a good hit. Bloody school... :laugh:

That's two outings in a row that I've picked up fish on the plastics, hopefully more to come.

Here's a timely media release for you Freshy. (Your flatty is a dusky with a slot limit of 40cm-75cm)

Spot the dot on the dusky

News release | 20 April, 2009

When it comes to identifying a flathead from other fish most anglers have no problems, but picking one flathead species from another can be tricky.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Matt Davidson from Primary Industries and Fisheries said that it was important that fishers knew how to tell the difference between dusky flathead and the other flathead species.

"Different bag and size limit rules apply to dusky flathead, or mud flathead as they are known in some areas, so fishers need to remember some simple rules to tell them apart," Mr Davidson said.

"The main point to remember is to spot the dot when looking to see if it is a dusky. To check you must fan the tail fin of the fish outwards, if it is a dusky flathead you will see a distinctive black spot on the upper half of its fin.

"Other species of flathead such as the sand or bar-tailed species do not have this distinctive spot on their tail."

Mr Davidson said dusky flathead had a minimum size limit of 40cm and a maximum of 75cm with a bag limit of five.

"Other species of flathead have a minimum size limit of 30cm and no maximum limit. A total combined bag limit of five flathead species (except dusky) can be taken.

"These bag and size limits are in place to ensure the sustainability of stocks so that people can enjoy catching these species in the future."

Mr Davidson said anglers fishing for flathead should also be aware of the rules for the bait they use.

"Generally flathead feed on small fish such as whiting, mullet and bream which means these fish may be seen as good bait. However, all species of whiting except trumpeter, diamondscale and sea mullet as well as all bream species are regulated by size."

"For example sand whiting, when used as bait, must be a least 23cm.

"This means that you cannot use these fish for bait unless they are the legal size. This is another common costly mistake by recreational anglers."

For more information on Queensland´s fishing rules visit http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/ or call 13 25 23.

Media contact: Jayne Scott, +61 7 3224 8799

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/30_13526_ENA_HTML.htm

yep the dot is the easiest tell tale thing to help, but i just dont keep anything under 40 as theres not much to be had on fish that size even a 40cm model is a bit skinny in my opinion i tend to keep the ones in the 50cm range as theres a bit more fish for your filleting efforts then. nice catch

Archived