Borumba Dam 23 April

tomca

I went to Borumba Dam with another kayaker for a sunrise start at Borumba Dam. I've been trying to get up there for a weekday fish for weeks and finally got the day off for it.

We started casting against the 'Rock Wall'next to the ramp and Stewart was quickly rewarded with a small bass.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/borumba.jpg

I had a few hits and misses on a spinnerbait. As the sun came over the hills, we moved further up the dam and flicked in some likely spots for no luck. Moved up near the standing timber and spotted a small bay and headed over to it.

First cast, a small toga takes a swipe and disappears into the weed as quick as it appeared. This went on for several casts.

So I swap over to the flyrod and tie on a little black fly and gently lob it to the edge of the weed and a small toga casually cruises up and slurps the fly down and sinks back down. I set the hook and it takes off vertical out of the water. It was so small I skull dragged it yakside and take a photo......batterry flat. Bugger!

I caught 7 small toga, or maybe the same few over and over from the one spot. Every small bay I went into up this far has little saratoga from 20cm-50cm just cruising around. I only too hardbody lures and the small fellas were a bit timid to smash them. The black flies worked a treat, so am going to tie some more this week.

Next time I might try some plastics on them, looks like weedless jigs will do the trick. I also watched a yella take a swipe at my clear sammy, but missed.

I checked out the camp ground at the bottom of the wall and looks the goods for a base for a fishing weekend and the caretaker is an avid fisherman and has good knowledge of where to look for the fish. Sorry about the lack of pics, I swear she said I put the battery on charge.

Archived