Spool tension??? Help!!!

Kappa

hi all,

Im a begginer and im just wondering ( im not sure on the correct terminalogy on this one sorry :( ) but how tight should i keep the spool or drag on the line? obviously you dont want it to loose so when your ON the fish just takes your whole line but not to tight either??? I usually target bream or flatties but when i get a bite they pull and as soon as they feel the tension they just spit it out??

thanx Kappa

straddiebrad wrote:

mate just 2 thirds of your line class set the drag at that u should be fine.

pretty sure its "supposed to be 1/3 breaking strain of your line" but you should also be constantly changing it to suit the fight ie. snaggy area with hard fighting fish tighter drag at first to keep it away from the structure and try and manouver the fish to more friendlier area (open space away from submerged rocks/trees etc)

1 third of the breaking strain of the line is a good start, better to have the drag slip quite a bit fishing for bream flathead and the likes, than to have it to tight and twang, buggar. you can always tighten up the drag, but hard to do when just got busted off, always loosen it when nearly captured as this is when most fish will want to go the other way and snap. this is just a ball park as you only learn to FEEL what your doing as time goes on.

Archived