small engine maintenance

Oztrav

So I just got the 'keys' to my uncle little tinnie he said i can use it whenever i want as long as i dont break it or lose it, its got a little yamaha 6hp so i wont need a liscence for it. Anyways are their any good websites or books that i can look at about marine engine maintence and the set up of these motors. I wanna give it bit of a service before i take it out.

Its alright guys I understand it has limited hp and I wont be fishing it on big tides.

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/01/28 19:23

So Oztrav, bringing it to Lenthalls?

Big tides wont worry it, but speed will be around 10 to 15kph, so plan trips accordingly (IE close to ramp!)and if you can run with tide that will make traveling quicker, but it is not critical, it will still make reasonable headway against tides around here.

About servicing it,

- Is it a 4stroke or 2stroke?

- How old?

- Does your Uncle have a service history for it? (IE history of regular maintenance, meaning you only need to do minimal servicing)

- Does it pump lots of water?

- What does the prop look like? (nicks or bits missing)

- Type of fuel tank? (metal or plastic, fuel filter?)

Other info you need to know from your uncle for piece of mind.

- How far does he think it will go on a tankful of fuel? (remember general safety obligation, 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve)

- Is the boat registered? (6hp needs to be registered)

- Spare for trailer?

- When last time wheel bearings looked at on trailer

Things you need to work out yourself

- Does your car jack and wheel brace suite trailer (can it lift from flat type position to high enough to change tyre)

- Does your car wiring fit your uncles trailer wiring (you might need an adapter)

PS you can usually pick up maintenance manuals for outboards on CD from Ebay for under $20 delivered to your front door, you just need to work out model and year. (Can find year on internet once you have model no.)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/28 19:40

not to sure of any good books or websites but for a service I would first check if the engine pumps water if it does then thats a good start.Then i would just give it a gearbox oil change if not check impella or for blockages.Then clean or maybe replace the spark plug and also check all the fuel lines for cracks or wear.Then stick it back in the tank and tune..Rev engine 3/4 throttle and turn mixture screw left or right till engine revs pick up or die then locate the middle where the engines revs max out but before the engine dies in revs or stalls then return to idle then fine tune at idle by doin the same thing its sort of a comprimise between top end power and a smooth idle..

if u have replaced the plugs and have a bright spark and its still doing it check for water in the fuel or in the bowl of the carby.theres 2 ways to fix it if its the problem.

1.empty fuel tank and lines replace with fresh fuel.that is the most common problem ppl have is dirty fuel.also try and keep tanks full to stop condensation from forming on the inside of ya tank.

2. rev the engine up and hold at a high rev and fully block of the carby while revin this will cause it to suck all the crap out of the carby and or remove the bowl from the carby and clean out...

if its happenin after that maybe try some carby clean to get rid of carbon build up or the carby needs to be striped and rebuilt...with out seeing the engine at first hand its really hard to tell what the problem would be..

hope this all helps...

motor is a 2 stroke bought new in 96 he reckons, it goes pretty good and since he is letting me borrow it rather than trying to sell it to me i beleive him. However he said he doubts if it even has 100 hours on it. I told him about the hp limit for registration, he thought it was 6hp so it is inline with liscencing but he reckons just to take the sticker off. 1 hp isnt going to matter im still not too sure though.

plastic tank

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/01/30 15:55

Problem with Lenthalls is they have a maximum of 6hp, so if I show up with a motor that looks \"rebadged\" I might just get the flick altogether, if they think it is a bigger than 6 rebadged.

Otherwise for use here, I'd bung a 4 sticker on it, (or just take off all stickers)and plead ignorance if Water police or fisheries twigged it was a 6. Particularly if it is someone elses motor and boat!

Someone in the know can usually tell, 6hp generally are more business like (solid), forward and reverse gear (many 4's only neutral and forward, motor turns 180degrees to get reverse)

All outboards should have the lower unit removed and impeller replaced at least every 3 years no matter how many hours they do as the impeller vanes go hard and brittle. Also make certain that you dip the bolts in marine grease before replacing them. This will prevent the bo;ts growing onto the alloy housing and preventing dismantling the motor in the future.

There are many 6 - 7 year old outboards in the wreckers because the owners have never serviced them and when something goes wrong they cannot be dismantled.

Ray

I find that if ya cant remove the lower housing try securing the motor very well and use a trailor tie down the ones with the winching device in it.connect the other end to something soild and the other end to the leg of the outboard and start winchin but make sure u get all the bolts out..u all so may have to tap the leg with a soft mallet as u winch and try to pull it out straight....if that dont work try a bigger winch....

Archived