Wello 13-06-09

bretto

Woke early and made the trek to wellington point in hope of a snapper and was setting up by 5 and on my first drift at 5.30.

Wind was up early and fishing was slow till the sun peeked over the horizon and I was on in a big way. My 4 inch lime tiger gulp was smashed on the drop by some thing substantial and soon enough it had rubbed me off on the reef after a few scorching runs and headshakes.

Didn't stand a chance on the 4lb. :laugh:

Soon after was on again and after a nervous fight I manage to land my PB snap of 44cm. Took it on the drop again and was taken in only 3m of water.

Was a nicely coloured fish.

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42801

On the Mat

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42802

Soon after it went a bit quiet with the odd 20-25cm squire coming to the party.

Decided it was time for a troll and found myself in a pike infested area and I could not get away for the vermin :angry: so I wound in and headed inshore to chase bream on the flats.

Wasn"t much doing here either except a few small breambos one slightly bigger fish.

Bream on a baby crank

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42804

Started to pack up about 10 and as i was about to start paddling back I heard a splash and then another :huh: . Thought maybe tailor and threw out a sugarpen and had one on within two twitches. Was a hoot in the shallows.

Tailor the mat

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42805

Mug Shot

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42806

All in all was a good morning.

6 Squire/Snaps

1 Bream

1 tailor

1,000 pike

Also had the life scared out of me by a dolphin which i thought was a shark the first time it surfaced by the yak.

Keen to do it all again soon!

Brett

Great report nice snap there still yet to land my first keep up the ggod work.

I know what you mean about the dolphin one came up n scared the daylights out of me MBC weekend at harrys dirty bugger blow holed all over me on the bow of the boat :laugh:

After the sun is up and the snapps shut down, try a fillet of pike floated down next to the yak out deeper. There are some gravel patches that the tuna and snapper hang around.

When fishing the drop off there I use minimum 10lb. Really, really hate losing lures on lighter gear.

Great return for the early morning start.

Archived