Kookaburra Pk Sat 10th

Yellow Peril

Cowfish: Deff worth taking some light gear. If you get a salmon youll havea lot of fun.

Lozzel: Im pretty sure if you scroll back through this forum someone was fishing land based. Land based is good at the park. Its not wide so you can get your lines more than sufficiently far out on the cast.

Angus

Just got back from a morning stint at kookaburra park. Yesterday I bought my first cast net and did my first cast ever with a cast net in the back yard. After quite a few casts I sort of got the hand of it and decided to give kookaburra another go this time with fresh local bait. Have not had much luck at kooka the last 3-4 times I have gone.

First cast with the net this morning, landed OK and got a couple of bony bream. Too small I thought for sharks anyway but maybe for a salmon. Couple casts later picked up a 6 foot log and a set of trebles, damm. After getting rid of the log next cast I knew I had a fish as it was pulling the net like it was on a hook. Pulled out a nice flathead. Few more casts for a few more bony bream and a whiting. Another cast and the net was being pulled again and I pulled out two big mullet. Probably bigger then I was hoping for but who knows.

Casted out one of the mullet for shark and one of the small bony bream for anything but catfish. After a while the bony bream line started to peel out, hooked it and the drag started to go and then snap. Probably a shark but this line had no steel trace and 3-4kg line. Not much happened for a while so I moved.

Mullet was out and then it started to go a bit crazy and bang line started going out, played for a while but then came back with half a mullet. Decided to throw it out again as it was and within 5 minutes it was taking the line out again. It took all the line out before turning played it for a while and then the line snapped away from the hook. Line was probably 6kg.

Rigged up and put the other mullet on. After 15 minutes something grabbed it and took off. again played it for a while trying to be gentle. twice it took all the line of the reel then snap wire trace bitten through.

Chucked the tail from the mullet onto the lighter rod and two or three times had runs but didn't seem to hook the shark. Put the hook through the front of the tail, through it out, again something took it and took all the line out, pulled some back in and then it took of again got to the end of the line and kept going with so many 100m's of line.

Was going to give up but had caught a catfish that I was going to use as crab bait and thought I try this. Rigged up another rod with 5kg line and maybe 400 meters. Casted out and had to wait 20 minutes but then the run came, played it couldn't get it close, took 3-4 big runs and then snap. Line probably wore out on its rough skin. Need to get wire traces that are maybe 1 meter long.

It was good to get some shark action again but would have been great to at least see one and not just the runs and the surface boil.

Also got a muddy which was probably legal but through it back in anyway.

Better trip then the last few at kooka but need to go buy some line, and traces and then go back.

Sounds like there is going to be a big mob out there tonight. Who knows I might go back for some more rigging practice.

Joe

Hi Jmac

Sounds like you had a big morning, pity you didn't land anything though. I would highly recommend using 2-3 feet of wire, upwards of 3 is probably even better. Bullies have a knack of biting you off if you have less.

I bet next time you will be ready for em and I'll look forward to reading your next report:)

cheers

ps - please put reports under the reports sectionB)

Angus wrote:

Cowfish: Deff worth taking some light gear. If you get a salmon youll havea lot of fun.

Lozzel: Im pretty sure if you scroll back through this forum someone was fishing land based. Land based is good at the park. Its not wide so you can get your lines more than sufficiently far out on the cast.

Angus

It was you land based wasn't it Angus?

Archived