Fresh Water Traps

Feral

Ok, dunno if it was the old rules and I just didn't know, or if the rules changed on 1st of March.

But I never realised until checking my rule book today that the rules for marking floats are different for fresh water traps compared to salt water traps (pots).

Crab pots, traps etc in salt water only require the owners surname and address on the float.(page 30 of the little blue book)

However traps used in fresh water require both the surname and first name as well as the address of the owner. (page 10 of the little blue book) Thats a trap for the unwary!

Its a pain in the but, because if you are taking a family member you cant just chuck in floats with the family name on them anymore. As "the owner" means the person legally using the trap. So if I have one of my sons on board, with 8 traps out, the 4 traps assigned to him have to have his name on them.

So I have just modified my floats. Added a tag with surname and address on one side, and all the first names of my family members on the other side (the rules dont say you have to have only one name on the float, just the name of the owner must be on the float). So no matter which family member I have out with me, their names are on the floats.

What a pain!

Archived