plastics and vibes retrieve

aichepee

im heading out in my yak to the mouth of the river this weekend. targeting thready/ snapper/ jew. i will be fishing jackall mask vibes and tn60's as well as some 5 inch gulp jerk shads. what im confused about atm is the retrieve for these lures. i will mainly be tossing them into wharfs and heavy structure etc. as i dont have a sounder i dont really know how deep the fish are? is the best retrieve a simple cast retrieve or are these fish more bottom dwellers that take a hopping retrieve along the bottom or a vertical jig? thanks in advance,

harry.. ;)

slow hop along the bottom for threadies, and try to keep it moving and not resting on the ground

we found the snapper to be a bit higher in the water column, but it can vary. get alot of hits on the drop between halfway down and the bottom and these are probably snapper

at night we found a few jewies right on the surface in the lights but i would assume during the day they're on the bottom too

watch yourself on those wharves hey there are some stupid sized cod etc down there that are likely to drag you right into the pilons lol.... make sure you have an exit plan cause you really don't want to be under there when a large wake (or port security for that matter) comes past

haha yeah something absolutely smashed my bait jig last time. had a slug for weight on the bottom and 4lb braid.

locked drag on my sron stx 10 and it just ripped line for about 30 secs then got me on the pilons.

actually happened three times. might go a bit more prepared next time.

i am going some time this weekend with 50 and 80lb braid and a few whole tailor for bait lol come here you big mother of a cod, i want a pic of you :laugh: :laugh: i suspect i will get rays and sharks and maybe a jew if i am lucky :laugh: might try and get some mega mullet to put down there!!

ive got a big overhead with 50lb mono. what do ya reckon. a big snapper lead on the bottom with a couple of hooks comin off the side. maybe 1 with a 7 inch jerk shad and 1 with a whole squid?

im starting to think my sol 2500/ mossyback 3-6kg will be booted out of my yak rod holder for a 6500 baitrunner... :woohoo:

i got dragged around last time mate, its not much of an issue. seems as though is its pulling u at a decent pace it isnt long before they get u on the pilons. ive basically given up on landing anything decent in there with what ive got. just looking for good table sized squire/ snapper for dinner. :)

Archived