iluka Fishing

Hamster

Hey everyone

just a quick report on the fishing at yamba/iluka. me and a few of my mates rented a house down at iluka for the week and decided to target the breakwalls and the bluff. on the first night we headed down to the wall with jewies in mind as well as tailor but with no luck. :( one of the locals said the only way to go was live bait. with the advise take we headed home and the next day headed for the bluff. we set up our surf rods to cast slugs at schools of tailor, but only manged two 30cm fish. on the way back to the house stopped in at dizzys and picked up some slugs and bait jigs for the nights fishing. we hit up the break wall around 4pm and attempted to catch some livies. to our surprise we hooked into a good school of yakka, so we collected a handful before dark and rigged up. my mates were using surf rods, but i decided to stick with a sedona 4000 with 30 pound braid and a 7ft 6-10kg snapper rod. :blush: we rigged the yakka single hook through the nose and casted them out. it was about 20 minutes in when suddenly my rod buckled and i was on with a solid fish. :woohoo: my mates rod got hooked up also but was already bricked before he could notice. after a ten minute solid fight the fish came to the surface, to my enjoyment it was much bigger than i thought :ohmy: it was 123cm and 18kg what a fish.

cheers Hamish

Archived