Landbased at Boggy creek

fishing_hardcore

Had a bit of a fish this morning, trying out the Damiki "D-grubs", sadly didn't get a hit but I am very impressed with the colours and action, it was a quiet morning for the placcies.

I also had a large herring out at the same time with a livie in hope of a jew.

Well after sitting through the turn of the tide and half the out going I decided I wasn't going to do any good so I packed up , to my suprise a 65 cm flatty was sleeping on the livie rod.

I was rigged up for jew as you can see that is 15lb braid,30lb leader and a 8kg rod so the poor old flatty didn't stand much of a chance ($29.00 pflueger reel :P ).

I mis-measured it I reckon as the first time i measured 75cm, but on second inspection of the photo the knife in the pic is 20 cm long and the flatty is on a bit of an angle there so I estimate about 65 cm..

Anyway to me it looked like it was 70cm and I was a bit excited and also was thinking I shouldn't keep it on land long, so I sent it back. clip_image002-20090807.jpg

its an Okuma aquios, sorry got them mixed up, it was on special at BCF and has served me well on quite a few fish.

The flattie swam off ok, it was sitting on the line and put up quite a struggle one it realised It was hooked so it had plenty of go in it.

I have a bad picture of the fish swimming off, which I was trying to capture its size but she took off quick enough, as you can see by the shadow, my camera skills leave little to be desired, the fish looks more like a rock.

Also Blairv, I do ok on the outgoing tide ;) around those parts .

Also the livie rod was pretty well manned at all times, just wasn't in my hand, the flathead was a sleeper.

Thats how I fish plastics in that area, I let the fish come to me, there a few spots there where the fish are very transient and you can flick a small area for half an hour with no results then get some mighty hits on a tide change.

Mind you I have seen guys wade the flats there too and catch 13 flathead, covering a lot of ground.

clip_imagexxx002.jpg

i'm not sure which is better .

don't know how they went last night .

there other night there lots of rat bream and snags .

we where there yesterday arvo .it was ok .as we packed up a guy was there getting flatties on sp's a few,not heaps.

me i would go by tides to fish it .just before high and fish the run out .

day for lure's ,sp's or hb's .i reckon sp's would be my choice.

night i would use bait or hb's .

Archived