william gunn jetty - Sunday 25 April

novrain

I went down to william gunn jetty on Sunday night at around 11pm. was outgoing tide but just trying my luck. texted a couple of people but most too lazy to go out.

there were heaps of people at the jetty and also this massive sailing boat taking up most of the space so there was only the end of fish from.

put on the squid jig i got in this month's modern fishing. Tried fishing on the opposite side where the walkway was. Hung a camping lantern over the side near the water and starting jigging. the guard came over and said I couldn't fish there so i packed up.

tried squeezing in with the crowd at the end but gave up and changed spots.

moved down along the esplande opp clara street and tried my luck at the sandy area in front of the shops. lots of splashes and activity but not sure if squid.

tried squid jigging but didn't get a touch. there was a couple and a guy fishing just further down. resorted to cast netting to see if I could get a livie and pin it near the boats. didn't get anything in the net. some guys came past and one of them told me to move further down - '200m further down in between the 2 marinas'

wanted to go home but decided to swing by that spot he mentioned. there was a boat ramp and a jetty but apparently you can't fish from the jetty. there wasn't anyone around so i did a sneaky.

jigged a little from the jetty, spotted this massive squid swimming around. dropped it right in front of him, he was about to take it when... shoosh.... something else spooked him and he sped off.

nothing else around so i packed up and went home. obviously no pics but thanks for reading.

hopefully will have some pics from the next session.

merv

yeah I've had more luck cast netting squid off the Gunn and surrounding areas than catching them on squid jigs funnily enough.

I cast with the majority of the net behind the squid so that when it shoots off, there's more net for it to shoot into. Lucky for me a drawstring cast net does very well catching the squid. Normal nets just allow them to slide out when you're bringing them in.

Archived