Camp Island (Silver Shoals Fishing Lodge)

paulymassy

Hey all AFO members,

I am going on a 8 day fishing trip to an island between Bowen and Townsville

this is 'Camp Island' but more commonly referred to as Silver Shoals Fishing Lodge.

I was wondering if anyone has been there or fished it?

when i get back i will be sure to post a report any way.

Cheers,

Pauly

Pauly this is my old neck of the woods i know camp island well and it has its own reef runs off the southern tip of the island for a good km or more, we fish on the eastern edge of that reef and sound around the bommies and anchor back on the pressure point of a good one and pull a few trout off it then move and find another one and do the same thing. anchor ahead of the bommie so the baits run back with the tide towards the bommie and try to be as quite as you can with the anchor using half pillies and about a 4/0 hook with a sinker straight on to the hook you pull them hard away from the struture as quick as you can. have a whole floating pilchard out or better still a livie under a ballon around 12 feet down using light wire trace of about 30 to 40 lb with a hook to match the size bait like a gang of 4/0 for a pillie or a 8/0 for a live trevally, fusilier etc for the spanish mackerel as they love that reef as well. if you get the oppotunity go for a run to abbot point where the coal ship terminal is on the southern headland of the bay that camp island is in and fish around the seaward end of the wharf on the inside corner about 30 to 40m away with the same rigs as the reef, livie or pillie with wire on top and a couple of baits on the bottom. keep your live bait right out the back for spanish as they get a bit shy of boats i like about 30 to 40m away from the boat but spottie macks will come right up to your boat while floating or drifting pillies out the back especially if you berley. the island sits in front of a river which hold barra and jacks etc which is only a feww minutes run to the mouth in a tinnie

good luck

ps i'm a bit jealous i love that area you'll have a ball

mark

plenty of trevally around both spots i mentioned especially the wharf at abott point

and cheap big poppers and throw at the wharf pilons around dawn or dusk and at night if you like chasing GTs they are just bycatch for me. use heavy gear and have heavy drag settings but they will still do you on the pilons probably, last year when i was up there i had nadders and dragons7 from the site with me and they lost a few poppers to some animal GTs at night there while i kept fishing for something that tastes better. around that wharf i've caught over the years for example 20kg spanish, 15kg cobia, 40kg cod, 20kg trevally, 10kg jacks, 5kg fingermark were the big ones and plenty of smaller models. i went up there for the first time 25yrs ago also lived there for a year about 2 yrs after that but never missed a year going up there for the first 12 yrs till i got married then the hand brake see's me only go every 2 yrs now. this should be good local knoledge to get you started up there just remember to take plenty of bait jigs as they will get hammered as livies are the go and plenty of pilchards. i never take little rods or use light line as most fish in those places i've mentioned and big brutes that will take you back to the structure and you will miss the trophy fish. i tried puting up the google earth images but i'm afraid i'm not the best on computers if you could get them up i'll try to copy and high light the reef

good luck

tight lines

heavy drag :woohoo:

Archived