shimano service

katfish

have a sustain 4000 fd. noticed some white powdery stuff on the braid, so stripped it off the spool. the spool was quite corroded at the base :) . bugger me, I always wash down my gear after every trip. rang the blokes at shimano in Sydney & explained my problem. No worries, the guy said, we`ll send you a replacement, no questions. I even asked if they wanted me to send the old one back. he said not to worry about it, what`s your address, we`ll send you a replacement. wow, very impressed by the service & the fact that I wasn`t subjected to any interrogation. I will also contact shimano & thank them for their great service. :)

although aluminium doesn`t rust, it does however oxidize. all my reels are subject to harsh salt water usage(never been submerged), but are thoroughly cleaned afterwards.( or so I thought). stripping line off all my spools after every trip would be impractical. salt water does penetrate through the line to the spool base,(as with my experience) I think in my future trips, I may have to soak the spools in fresh water( after taking the drag washers out) just to make sure they are properly cleaned. this may seem excessive, but what else can I do to prevent future rust problems on my expensive reels.

does anyone have any special cleaning tips, they would like to share with me & others on these forums, to help protect our valuable fishing equipment. cheers.

If you are going to soak you spools don't soak them for to long and ALWAYS rince them of before storing because just soaking them only allows the salt to just sit on the reel if not flushed proply.

ALL I ever have ever done is give them a 5/10 rince with the hose using a bit of pressure and let them air dry all good and spray them once a month with inox

yes, thanks for the reply. might have to get some inox, heard its like wd40, but better.

was only going to soak until fresh water soaks through the braid, probably half an hour or so, then thoroughly towel & air dry. does, is the inox harmfull to mono/braided/fused lines, as would be hard to avoid spraying on reel without getting on line. cheers

Archived