St Helena and Mud Island- 20/4/07

Gordo

Hey all

Not sure whether to post this report in the Moreton section or this section. Anyways this is my very first fishing report. Last week we headed out to St Helena for a bit of a fishing trip with much success so we decided to check it out again yesterday.

Headed out with my girlfriend and her family around 8 in the morning to Fisherman's Island boat ramp and soon we were at St Helena. For those who don't know where St Helena is its about 5 km's east of port of Brisbane. As soon as we got there i threw in my line with a little crab i caught at the boat ramp and 5 seconds later BANG!

I had no idea what it was but it nearly snapped my rod in half. Scared the crap out of me. So my girlfriends dad decided to have a go and a couple of minutes later the same thing happened, except it didn't snap his line. As he was reeling it in after 10 minutes or so it snapped his line. Frustrated we tried to catch it again but it was gone.

A couple of minutes later we both used berkley powergulp and success. We managed to hook up 2 undersized whiting (not pictured) and 5 garfish (pictured only the 2 big ones). Not bad for an 1 hour of fishing. We decided to keep the two biggest ones (31 cm , 33cm) and my gf's dad decided to use the others as bait and we headed off to a reef just north of mud island.

As soon as we got to the reef we keeped on hooking up small Whiptails (pictures) we ended up catching 4, each about 12-19cm. 30 minutes later we headed just a little west of the reef and we hooked up 3 undersized sweetlip (19cm, 26cm, 25cm) and 1 (29cm) bream (pictured).

We were satisfied so we decided to head back. A great day out and a good day for fishing. I apologize if i use the wrong fishing terms or am not using much or too detail. Any feedback would be helpful

Gordo

Post edited by: Gordo, at: 2007/04/21 13:39

Post edited by: Gordo, at: 2007/04/21 13:44

post-809-144598412227_thumb.jpg

Thanks alot Lozzel for posting up the pics your a legend.

The Gar are good eating, alot of bones but the flesh is good. I have never tasted whiptail, they looked too small to eat even though there is no size limit on them.

We mostly let them go

Archived