Heading up to Agnes Waters/1770 next week

HookedOnTackle

Just want a little advice, like will 30lb basically be enough for most species this time of year?

Probable species, any advice on reefs fairly close in (taking a mates 4.5m boat and there will be five of us), is the boat hire reasonable at the caravan park?

Just a basic run down as i am very keen to score some very nice fishies. Makes sense i am on the site hey!

Is the beach fishing any good, is a beach rod needed off the rocks...

Read a few previous posts and it seems it can be all over the place but can't open links posted on here. Oh and if anyone else will be there at the same time, would be good to meet up

Advance thanks

Hayden

i'm heading up there next week too mate. was also going to ask if anyone has any tips for landbased fishing. have 2-4kg setups with 3kg on them, a 6-10kg with 15lb and another spin with 30lb braid and 20lb braid.

it's the anniversary so hoping i can get out for a fish!

good luck

Neal, you should try a lil sweet talking. maybe something along the lines of, i caught the most wonderful woman in the world X years ago and want to keep fishing but no other woman could even come close, so it has to be fishing :D

i'm single by the way, so be wary of my advice!

Angus, what's he borrowing? or should i not ask, i still can't believe the macs he caught on 4lb bream gear....

there has also been talk of a trip into awoonga, most reports i have read about this dam are people going "damn" after getting back with doughnuts at best. would it be worth detouring for a day or stick to the saltier stuff?

Good luck Hayden,I've just talked the misses to head up there in october for a week after spending a week up at monduran.

I think 30lbs braid will be plenty but you just don't know what you may encounter around the headland or wider out like tuna,kinggies.

Sorry I can't give you any idea what the price of hiring a boat would be so good luck

cheers dassa

Have seen some nice golden trevally caught just in front of the headland there by trolling some gold bomber lures

Have heard of plenty of jacks up the creek, and have caught some nice, bream, whiting, flathead and moses perch just inside of the bar

Have also heard there is some good fishing to be had in the national park, i think its called deepwater???? but think it is only for 4wd access.

I go up every year for a week or so and do ok. Last couple of years the weather was unkind for fishing, but still caught (and mostly lost) barra, jacks, trevs and cod. Your gear should be fine. I like to chuck my lures deep into structure, so even 50lb isn't enough usually. Here is my last trip report
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/80-north-queensland-reports/248411-1770-weather-not-great-fishing-average

The boats at the caravan park are fine for fishing the creek, but are a little underpowered for the rate the current rips through the headland. We caught some cracker flatties and cod right up the creek with livies and lures.

just got back been up there for a couple of days right in the middle of a cold snap. Spent most of my time helping to clean up an overgrown 5 acres. I did manage one session fishing from the bank in a small creek, managed 8 small cod and one legal bream, also tried for a barra from a private pond but was to cold for them. Next time I go up I'll spend more time fishing.

Dino

30lb leader should be good enough - but if you meet a rogue Spaniard he will massacre you. Tuna are finished until October time. I fish from the shore and find there are always good fish around up there. There should be plenty of Tailor and Trevally around the rocky headlands. I also usually get a fair few Stripey Snapper ( look a bit like a Moses Perch) off the beach an rocks. I fish plastics, generally Gulp - Jerkshads on 3/8th Jigheads. If the weather is bad the creeks will produce plenty of Grunters and good flathead around this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived